Best (Upgrade?) Power Steering Pump for a '99 4.0 SOHC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best (Upgrade?) Power Steering Pump for a '99 4.0 SOHC?

kythri

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
My power steering pump is adopting a habit of intermittently dumping it's fluid out. It's not a consistent leak, I can refill it and it holds it for weeks, and then *splortch*, I've got a puddle of fluid underneath, and the steering screams until I refill it.

As such, I've decided I probably need to replace the pump.

Is there anything better than the Motorcraft STP-53-RM? I'm not looking to save a nickel on an inferior knock-off, but I'm willing to spend some extra if there's something better than OEM.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a BBB INDUSTRIES reman unit from rock auto earlier this year. Been fine. I don't think the motorcraft is worth 3 times the price.

My power steering pump is adopting a habit of intermittently dumping it's fluid out. It's not a consistent leak, I can refill it and it holds it for weeks, and then *splortch*, I've got a puddle of fluid underneath, and the steering screams until I refill it.

As such, I've decided I probably need to replace the pump.

Is there anything better than the Motorcraft STP-53-RM? I'm not looking to save a nickel on an inferior knock-off, but I'm willing to spend some extra if there's something better than OEM.

Thanks for any help you can give!
? Did you happen to turn the steering wheel without the engine running?

? Did you happen to turn the steering wheel without the engine running?
I have in the past, but not recently, and certainly not in any kind of timeframe relative of it developing this issue.

That really shouldn't be an issue.

I have in the past, but not recently, and certainly not in any kind of timeframe relative of it developing this issue.

That really shouldn't be an issue.
from my experience, Turning the wheels by hand, create air in the system. On my other older car it never create a issue. On my explorer the cap on the power steering pump would pop or I would lose fluid. What help with this issue I brought a vacuum bleeder adapter for the power steering pump.; gets all the air out of the system in short time. What a time saver

Weird.

Mine's dumping from the pump somewhere. The reservoir is clean/dry, it's not burping out of that and the cap has never come off.

I haven't gotten under there yet to see exactly where it's puking out of, but it dumps out on the ground directly underneath the pump.

Back