best way to get rid of rear end sag on 99 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

best way to get rid of rear end sag on 99 explorer?

nuggitman2010

Reaction score
City, State
Bainbridge, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer xlt 5.0
I have a 99 explorer xlt with the 5.0 in it. i just purchased the truck and noticed the driver side is sagging a good bit in the rear. i did some research on it and found that these models were known for rear sag. now my question is whats the best way to go about fixing this problem? and i want to lift it a little bit also and im worried if i buy the 2" lift shackles for the rear that it will still sag on the driver side. opinions and suggestions??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shackles will still sag on driver's side. Ultimately everything will sag, gas tank and driver are on the left side.
Do some searching on here, lots of info for lifting and fixing the saggy back and lean

i figured it would still sag if i did shackles. i was jusy reading that the only real way to get tid of.it is to get new leaf springs. i read thats why it sags i was reading that they get weak. so looks like im replacing leafs then doin the shackles. :/

New leafs will sag as well, and that's expensive. I think the best way is the f-150 leaf swap

You can also play with the torsion bars. My left torsion bar is a good bit tighter than the right, only thing I'm doing to counteract the lean. Helps I don't weight much either.

theres only tortion bars in front tho right?

and whats all needed to do f150 swap? and i also read something about helper springs?

Search this forum for the f-150 spring swap, I think it's late 70's f-150 leaf springs, you swap the leafs over except the main leaf.
I have helper springs to reduce the sag, front and rear sit pretty level.
Torsion bars are only the front, however you can use them to reduce the sideways lean. You could also lower the front to better match the sagging rear.

That looks like a helper spring. I paid like $20 for mine. An "AAL" is generally better. Helper springs are meant more for towing (preventing sag) not actually lifting.
Also, theres no such thing as a 2006 explorer with a leaf spring...... I wouldn't buy it based off that. If they think it fits a 3rd gen explorer, how can I trust it'll fit my truck?
The monroe shocks seem to work good, and I wouldn't worry about the cross member. It doesn't take much to lift the back of the explorer. I can lift the ass end up a good half inch, and I'm a skinny punk.
And it's tougher than most people think. Remember, explorers did come with ARC and it's the exact same thing as the monroe shocks.... lifting the truck up with the shocks

You still gotta do something to fix the lean. So far everything will only fix the sag, not lean

i just did some research on the monroe adjustable shocks. i will def be ordrring them. but as for the lean on driver side im reading that replacing the leaf spring with a new one will fix it. the rear sags on both sides just more on driver side.

The f-150 swap will fix that.
Depending on how bad it is, the torsion bars can fix it. Also, if you order the monroe air shocks (not with the coil spring) you can air up the drivers side shock more to help fix the lean. I wouldn't suggest new leaf springs though

Remember, when you tweak the torsion adjusters an alignment is usually needed. Minimum $75 here. GL

^good point. Although it wouldn't hurt to get an alignment when lifting the rear because that will put more weight on the front end/thus making the front squat a little.
And it never hurts to get an alignment, tires aint cheap. $100 to get it aligned and know it's right, or $1000 for new rubber

The Monroe load adjusting shocks work great and provide about 1.5" inch height increase. I don't think there's a structural problem with using these, remember that the air load adjusting shocks that were optional from the factory would have put the same amount of stress on the crossmember as these will.

To get rid of the lean, swap the leaf springs left to right. That will even it out, and then the load adjusting shocks will raise it up.

The ride quality with the load adjusting shocks is very good. I've heard, but not experienced, that AAL's make the ride much stiffer.

Like mentioned, the spring on that side is weak, so you could swap sides or swap in new leafs. You can do things to raise the sag like shackles, AAL or shocks but it will be even on both sides and you will still end up with a lean. I have a slight lean myself.

if you go the Monroe 58617 route, is it recommended to also change out the fronts? if so, what set is recommended?

Many variables. Driving style, road conditions, towing, etc. Monroe SensaTrac's
are a softer comfort shock, but not well suited for aggressive driving styles.
Bilstein, KYB, Rancho, tend to be firmer with less body lean and front brake diving.
From feedback, the 58617 load adjusting shocks tend to be firm so you would want
to match and balance them to the front. Reflex is another option, do some searching. GL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going to be installing the load adjusts in the back and Bilstein's in the front.

Back