Better Windshield Glass | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Better Windshield Glass

MikeP

Reaction score
Apparently Ford uses a lightweight thin (weak?) laminated glass for the windshields on Ford Explorers. Does anyone know how to obtain a more durable windshield that is not so easy to break?
I see something on the internet about Edgeguard Protective having some plastic film which covers a perimeter strip of about 3 inches of the windshield. "EdgeGuard™ is a clear, protective shield that is installed on the perimeter of a windshield. This shield works as a rock deflector, repelling rocks that hit the edge of the windshield."
In the past 3 years, I have had two windshield breaks on my 1991 Ford Explorer: one caused by washing my windshield with snow (thermal stress cracked the glass - which I think was ridiculous as I have used snow to scrub off dirty windshields on my other older trucks for years) and most recently a small rock hit the windshield just behind the rear view window and the crack is now extending into the drivers side.
Looking on the internet I see something about "Enhanced Protective Glass" which is apparently laminated for use on the side windows (a police internet site has a writeup about this glass being better than the tempered glass).
Mike in Seattle

The OEM glass is usually the better quality from my experiences. Now you can buy a $450 windshield for your X that is the thicker stuff, however why? Chances are it;s still gonna get chipped and crack. IN Colorado you will use a windshield every two seasons or so, so I buy the cheapest one I can find for my BII, about $160 installed. My buddies at work and I all buy them at the same time, so usually the van pulls up with 4 cars waiting, this can get you deep discounts.

You can apply 3m clear bra in strips to the upper and lower windshield, this stuff works great, if the rock hits there in that spot. The only thing to look out for is the windshield wipers, they are not clear bra friendly so thats why you cant coat the whole windshield, plus it would probablybe a little blurry.

There are bullet proof off road windshields you can get but they are not street leagal as they will cut you in half if you fly through them in an accident (or so I hear) so a 5 point harness, etc, would be necessary.

Back