bfgs dont need balanced? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bfgs dont need balanced?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

95offroadx said:
me and a local 4x4 guy, put new 33x10.5r15 bfg a/t tires on my explorer

he said that they wont need to be balanced, is that true?

Thats a load of bull.. Every tire needs to be balanced.. They probably didn't want to balance them. Some people think they are un-balancable. They aren't I've balanced all of my 33 MTs at my boss' other shop with no problems.

They have to be balanced.

balance the heck out of those suckers, BFG's took more weights then most of the other tires I have run! If a wheel tire combo takes too much weight I ask for another tire.

I also run the Equal powder in addition to the static balancing, when you p[ay $150+ ea for tires, you better balance them! and 33's can cause all sorts of problems if they arent.

ok thanks for your help guys, looks like ill be taking them to the local tire shop in the morning

I tell you what the B*tch is about those tires....the rim protector strip of rubber. If you have a rim that'll take outside weights (basically on the outside of the rim and not stick on weights) the weights are hard to get under there. That's the only problem with BFGs.

-Drew

A few local places won't balance tires that are over a certain size (31" maybe). Dummies. They lose a lot of 4X4 business that way. There are a lot of big trucks running around here with tall tires.

Brian_B said:
A few local places won't balance tires that are over a certain size (31" maybe). Dummies. They lose a lot of 4X4 business that way. There are a lot of big trucks running around here with tall tires.

Most places don't have the equipment to balance large tires.

How many screwdrivers and pry-bars did you use to mount the tires?

3 prybars work great haha, dont know about balancing thou

my kumhos came from tire rack needing minimal balancing except for one which was 28 ounces out of balance haha, shipped the runt back

410Fortune said:
I also run the Equal powder

That's the shizzzzznit :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , got some of it sitting on my kitchen counter right now, :eek: hope the lady doesn't think it's sweetener.

All tires need to be balanced, a regular tire machine will balance 35's and 37's, I have done it, PERIOD!
I'm sure bigger could be done, but I have never tried it, moving the tire on the rim can also help, as with our machine you can check the balance on the rim, then the tire to help you move the tire on the rim till you get the best balance with the least amount of wieght added to the rim. ;)

Jeff - :navajo:

They need to be balanced for street use.. I could see If your ride is strickly off-road then balance isn't as important...

I dont use weights on my trail rig. I just run 6 golf balls in each tire for when I run it around the block to keep the juices flowing. :)

38" swampers (Bias) are hard to balance, but the golf balls do it.

i just got a chance to take it to my local tire/wheel shop, and they will be getting balanced on friday, will it hurt anything driving on nonbalanced tires?

does the steering wheel shake?

only a little at high speeds 75mph and up, but not bad at all

my bfg's had 2 of the long weights and 1 short one on the back of i think 1 or 2 of the rims.. is that bad?

2 0f the long ones and 1 short one? what the heck weight is that? there are probably on average 20 sizes of wheel weights, they normally start at 1/4 oz, then go up a 1/4 ounce every time... the longest i have seen in one piece is 3 ounces... affter that they get into smaller ones that are really thick and can easilgy go up to a 5 oz weight....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it is obvious to me what the opinion of everyone is lol get them balanced...

Back