• Register Today It's free!

Biggest stock tire?

FruztalProjects

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, US
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
I'm not sure if anyone has done this before. As some may know, the newer PIUs run on 265/60 18" tires. The older ones run 245/55 18" tires, just wondering if anyone here has ran the 265/60 tires on an older PIU and if it causes rubbing or anything. I have the regular black steel wheels. I know it'll fill the wheel well entirely. My tires are due soon for being changed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The generally accepted maximum diameter variance is 3% of the OEM size. The 265/60R18 on a 2015 with 245/55R18 tires would see a difference of double the 3% maximum to 6.7%. Therefore it is not recommended. It would adversely affect several of the systems on the vehicle such as Traction Control and ABS not to mention the extra strain it would put on the brakes.

Peter

The generally accepted maximum diameter variance is 3% of the OEM size. The 265/60R18 on a 2015 with 245/55R18 tires would see a difference of double the 3% maximum to 6.7%. Therefore it is not recommended. It would adversely affect several of the systems on the vehicle such as Traction Control and ABS not to mention the extra strain it would put on the brakes.

Peter
Yes, I'm fully aware of the brakes, I just did the brakes recently. From what I know of the vehicle will have to get calibrated for the new tire size, which you can change in FORScan and can make the vehicle learn the new tire size. I know DTCs will appear for ABS, but again, needs calibration to fix. I did see a video covering the 265/60's on a 2016.

On my 14 PIU I went from 245/55R18 (28.6") to 255/55R18 (29"). I programmed the difference with HP Tuners and I am sure I could have gone larger. The 255/55 is a much more common size with many more options for tires. I wanted to go wider for more traction not necessarily taller for looks or off-road.

not a 5g and a PIU so not sure if stuff has changed, but going from a 235/75/15-> a 31x10.5x15, actual size is 30.6 diameter, that is about a 6% change in diameter. aside from speedo not reading right, havent noticed any power decrease i can notice. if anything thr winch bumper killed it haha. braking wise also still feels like it did before. not sure about TCS, but ABS still works fine and everything feels the same ont his one. the only difference i notice is in OD its a little more sluggish but thats since its running at a lower rpm. by the time i rise the rpms up to the same it feels just fine (granted thats going faster than before)

Your 2nd gen doesn't have all of h newer electronically controlled BS that the 5th gen has.

I ran 33 x 10.5 x 18s on my 2nd gen.

You can't make some of the systems understand that the tire size works but is outside of their parameters.

ran atleast last year 265/50/20 for summer tyres dident really have any issues relaiting to abs braking only thing was the speedo was 4mph off at 56(set cruise at 52) was more off faster ya went but other than that had no issues with them on my 14(currently running stock size right now)

I installed 265/60R18 Cooper All-Terrain on my 2018 PIU (Premium, DG1Z1007C ~ 18" alloy wheels) today and they fit perfect, no rubbing at all. I'll take some photos, if anybody is interested.

edit: I forgot to mention that I used ForScan to program the tire size in the BCM to 255/50R20, as it's the closest in size to 265/60R18 in the list and any non-listed variation caused P0422 DTC regardless of which section I changed it in. My understanding is that this code is harmless if everything is functioning properly, but I found that setting it to 255/50R20 caused my speedometer to be off by about 1MPH at 70MPH; when the gauge reads 70MPH, I'm actually going 71MPH, so I left it a that.
YMMV, depending on the actual circumference of your chosen tires.

I installed 265/60R18 Cooper All-Terrain on my 2018 PIU (Premium, DG1Z1007C ~ 18" alloy wheels) today and they fit perfect, no rubbing at all. I'll take some photos, if anybody is interested.

edit: I forgot to mention that I used ForScan to program the tire size in the BCM to 255/50R20, as it's the closest in size to 265/60R18 in the list and any non-listed variation caused P0422 DTC regardless of which section I changed it in. My understanding is that this code is harmless if everything is functioning properly, but I found that setting it to 255/50R20 caused my speedometer to be off by about 1MPH at 70MPH; when the gauge reads 70MPH, I'm actually going 71MPH, so I left it a that.
The actual speed should read lower than what the speedometer shows.

Peter

The actual speed should read lower than what the speedometer shows.

Peter

Since the vehicle believes the tire size to be 255/50R20, that should to be the "Original Tire".

255/50 R20 vs 265/60 R18 Tire Size Comparison Table with Graphic Visualization (inch difference)

You should be able to set the tire circumference in FORScan to correct the speedometer.

Back