• Register Today It's free!

Bikes or roof

y3kbuddy

Reaction score
City, State
Beverly Hills, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Sport
is there anyway to securely haul a bycicle on the roof w/ a roof rack without damaging the bike, car, or have the bike fall off. I do not intend to purchase anything since this will be dont only a few times.

P.S. I didnt know anywhere else to post, so if its in the wrong place please feel free to move it. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by y3kbuddy
is there anyway to securely haul a bycicle on the roof w/ a roof rack without damaging the bike, car, or have the bike fall off. I do not intend to purchase anything since this will be dont only a few times.

P.S. I didnt know anywhere else to post, so if its in the wrong place please feel free to move it. Thanks.
do you mean without buying anything special for the roof? i personally would say no as you could probably rig somehting up and do it, but if i were worried about it, i would advise against it..... me, i wouldnt be worried and if it damages anything, there is always touch up paint i could add.

EASY

If you buy the little clips from the bike store for the Fork....you know the one that go on the quick release.....about 15 bucks each and strap the back tire down good, or mount some channel iron.

But that costs a couple bucks.....

You can put your bike upside down, strap the bars to one roof rack and the seat to the other.Rotate the other bike.....Free:D

Re: EASY

Originally posted by bipolarbob
You can put your bike upside down, strap the bars to one roof rack and the seat to the other.Rotate the other bike.....Free:D

was also thinking this earlier, but if you dont properly strap the bikes down ,they may tilt or fall on the truck.... ratchet straps will probably be best

that's how i would do it too

id just take the front wheel off and toss it in the back =) that is why u got an suv isnt it? hehe...even with my subs in my geo i can still fit a full size mountin bike so thats no excuse either =)

A bicycle would fit in the back with one seat folded and one wheel off the bike. I used to do it all the time until I got my bike rack.

It all depends on how much you care for your bike. My bikes are expensive enough that I wouldn't risk anything. You could try laying it on its side and strapping it to the factory rack. May need to remove a pedal though. You can get single carriers for your roof from Rockymounts.com

http://rockymounts.com/noose.asp?nav=flash&page=noose

If you can put it in the rear like other people are suggesting, you can get the fork mounts, and mount it to big piece of wood to keep it upright. Cost about $20

Just remeber this,
If your bike is stading up on the roof you CAN NOT go through a drive through window.

I had to put a roof on a Grand Cherokee a few years back due to such such stupidity.

Ha, I was about to say something about that. One thing thats nice about buying a rack is the little tag that comes with the rack to remind you "Thule On Top".

you could always just make a hitch based bike carier like i did...

Originally posted by MONMIX
Just remeber this,
If your bike is stading up on the roof you CAN NOT go through a drive through window.

I had to put a roof on a Grand Cherokee a few years back due to such such stupidity.

u cant do in ur garage either =)..that goes for dolleys on the racks of full sized trucks to:rolleyes:

Hmm, maybe turn the handle bars, take off a pedal, slap a blanket on the roof and get some ratchet straps/ bungie cords? ( I haven't done this so if something breaks you I'll be "absent" :p)

Back