Bizarre shifting problems after rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bizarre shifting problems after rebuild

DonnyMac

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Hey everyone,

Bought a 2003 4.0 4x4 XLT used recently. Turns out the transmission was bad. Took it in, had it rebuilt. Got it back, drove it for an hour home, shifted perfectly. The next day, drive it again 1st and 2nd gear are fine, then it gets to 3rd, and winds up to 4,000 RPM and beyond then slams into gear, then 4th and 5th seem fine. Also the O/D light starts flashing. At that time I didnt grab the codes, just brought it back in for warranty.

They were going to change the transmission a second time, then decided to put in a shift instead. So then all gears slammed hard, except 3rd-4th, it was super smooth. So it stayed that way for about 10-15 hours of driving mostly highway and some city driving. Then the O/D light came on.

This time I got the codes though. P060, P0760, P0755, and P2272. On the highway, with cruise on at 100km/hr it shifts down to 4th at the slightest hill, and sometime even down to 3rd. Revs up like crazy, and still loses speed.

***The EGR line was capped off when the exhaust manifold was replaced, which would explain the EGR code though***

Also, once it kicks down to 4th, it stays there even once the road levels out. I usually have to click the overdrive button off and on to get it to shift back into overdrive.

Any ideas??? Is this just a transmission problem or would the O2 sensors/cats impact the shifting? It does feel pretty gutless at highway speeds. It's a struggle to get it it up to 120km/hr, and doesn't want to go much faster.

Thanks for your time!

The P0760 and P0755 indicate issues with the solenoid block or wiring for the solenoids.

The p2272 code is for the 02 sensor bank 2 sensor 2.

The P060 is probably P0060 and is also for the 02 sensor bank 2 sensor 2.

The 02 sensors and the transmission do share grounds and 02 sensors or wiring to them can cause transmission concerns.

I would look at the 02 sensor and its wiring along with fuse #13 and also the solenoid block and its wiring and connector.

Thanks! It's at the tranny shop still. They said the solenoids all needed changing (warranty), after only about 2,000 kms, so we'll see how that goes once they're done with it. This is the 3rd trip back there since the initial replacement.

Back