• Register Today It's free!

Blacked Out 2020 XLT

FastHarley

Reaction score
City, State
LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford XLT
Recently purchased a 2020 XLT and love it, except for the lift gate that stopped working, but was fixed same day by the dealer.
Interior is pretty loaded (but did have tow package I wanted and 4 WD), so, I decided to focus on the exterior and black out the vehicle with the new Hyperdip (plastidip-but totally new and improved in every way).
Did vehicle in stages, with wheels first, then side trim, then front grill chrome slits and front and rear badges. Finally, just did the lower skid plates (pain to mask, cover and spray upside down and had to fix my first dip run), but just finished and I think it looks pretty cool.
The finish is Much slicker and smoother to plastidip and seems pretty durable so far.
Anyway, here are a few Pics-
Before (Pretty much OEM stock)

DB9F0147-6B4B-4A8C-B8B2-A9F329D43E81.jpeg
0DADCF41-D85F-4E61-88EE-8B44A7C108E2.jpeg

E9ABC18F-538E-4DEF-B2C9-08A36ACA85D4.jpeg
1066D337-58F3-401C-B186-83EB1B41248A.jpeg

Now-All blacked out with Hyper-

D0A113CA-0354-44E8-AB15-51D3F45CFB37.jpeg
C283AB12-D9D3-4519-AF11-37E2CCC5D394.jpeg
411C34B1-F163-41B0-804D-BC30DC091AC0.jpeg
3B9C34E2-89A0-4863-8E1D-7757B6105BC0.jpeg
7CD26D6E-B2D4-4E8C-B99E-73676FEA81E7.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good (and mean!). You should find the plastidip quite durable. I used it on some older rims on my kids SUV and it held up really well. And the great thing is, if you wish to change thing up again, it’s very easy to remove.

Nice job!....That looks really good, tasteful not over done.

Maybe a little front window tint?

Looks good (and mean!). You should find the plastidip quite durable. I used it on some older rims on my kids SUV and it held up really well. And the great thing is, if you wish to change thing up again, it’s very easy to remove.
Nice job!....That looks really good, tasteful not over done.

Maybe a little front window tint?
Thanks guys!👍

Thanks guys!👍
Looks badass, Definitely agree with the window tint. Your post said you only done the chrome on the grille but it looks like you did the entire grille no?

Looks badass, Definitely agree with the window tint. Your post said you only done the chrome on the grill but it looks like you did the entire grill no?
Thanks-
The grille comes gloss black Honeycomb with the chrome trim so I just sprayed the trim with Hyperdip. Was pretty tricky to mask and tape off everything but the chrome-as it is narrow and close to other stuff and the top chrome trim even goes about an inch under the hood so I had to pop the hood and cover everything inside and the radiator as well.

Here is how it looks stock-
A63F6F93-AFA7-4627-A7A6-5782F5212434.jpeg

Thanks-
The grill comes gloss black Honeycomb with the chrome trim so I just sprayed the trim with Hyperdip. Was pretty tricky to mask and tape off everything but the chrome-as it is narrow and close to other stuff and the top chrome trim even goes about an inch under the hood so I had to pop the hood and cover everything inside and the radiator as well.

Here is how it looks stock-
View attachment 318926
You definitely blew it up. Looks great, I might give it a go myself tomorrow if the weather is good

You definitely blew it up. Looks great, I might give it a go myself tomorrow if the weather is good
Cool-
Do you have Hyperdip? Its slicker and applies much smoother than regular plastidip, and more like paint the way you spray it and lay it out.

Also,
don’t know if you’ve sprayed this stuff before, but there is a Ton of prep and masking on each area, and for me, it was a several day job, section by section. I don’t like half ass work, so each area Has to be prepped, masked, cleaned, and using dip release on the tires, so when you spray the rims, you also spray a couple inches of tire, which peels off nice and clean with the dip release. The rim cuts a nice clean line separating the rim and tire. Same with the trim and badges....Killer.....Took me 3-4 hours per area as you are spaying multiple coats and then waiting between-I also had my first run under the rear skid plate that was a pain to fix.

Cool-
Do you have Hyperdip? Its slicker and applies much smoother than regular plastidip, and more like paint the way you spray it and lay it out.

Also,
don’t know if you’ve sprayed this stuff before, but there is a Ton of prep and masking on each area, and for me, it was a several day job, section by section. I don’t like half ass work, so each area Has to be prepped, masked, cleaned, and using dip release on the tires, so when you spray the rims, you also spray a couple inches of tire, which peels off nice and clean with the dip release. The rim cuts a nice clean line separating the rim and tire. Same with the trim and badges....Killer.....Took me 3-4 hours per area as you are spaying multiple coats and then waiting between-I also had my first run under the rear skid plate that was a pain to fix.

No I’ve never sprayed hyper or plasti dip, been watching videos on YouTube from dip your car he’s really informative, gotta check out this hyper dip though before I make a choice

No I’ve never sprayed hyper or plasti dip, been watching videos on YouTube from dip your car he’s really informative, gotta check out this hyper dip though before I make a choice
Brad at Dip Your Car was awesome on my questions as I went along....great customer service!
For sure, prep, prep, prep! The spraying of the dip is the EZ part......Hyper all the way......
Good luck! 👍

Looks great! I like that you kept the center caps silver, I think the contrast makes it look more polished. I just bought an explorer on Sunday, getting the wheels powder coated and tint done this week.

Looks great! I like that you kept the center caps silver, I think the contrast makes it look more polished. I just bought an explorer on Sunday, getting the wheels powder coated and tint done this week.
How much did you pay to powder coat your wheels?

Recently purchased a 2020 XLT and love it, except for the lift gate that stopped working, but was fixed same day by the dealer.
Interior is pretty loaded (but did have tow package I wanted and 4 WD), so, I decided to focus on the exterior and black out the vehicle with the new Hyperdip (plastidip-but totally new and improved in every way).
Did vehicle in stages, with wheels first, then side trim, then front grill chrome slits and front and rear badges. Finally, just did the lower skid plates (pain to mask, cover and spray upside down and had to fix my first dip run), but just finished and I think it looks pretty cool.
The finish is Much slicker and smoother to plastidip and seems pretty durable so far.

View attachment 318410View attachment 318411

View attachment 318412View attachment 318413

View attachment 318404View attachment 318406View attachment 318407View attachment 318408View attachment 318409
Nice I am looking to do the same to mine. Do you by chance know how much Hyperdip you needed to do all that work? Minus the wheels. Also What hyperdip color did you use in black? Thank you in advanced.

View attachment 318410View attachment 318411

View attachment 318412View attachment 318413

View attachment 318404View attachment 318406View attachment 318407View attachment 318408View attachment 318409
Looking nice!! tint the front windows too?

Nice I am looking to do the same to mine. Do you by chance know how much Hyperdip you needed to do all that work? Minus the wheels. Also What hyperdip color did you use in black? Thank you in advanced.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on March 14, 2021.

Peter

Back