• Register Today It's free!

Blind Spots

sporttractuner

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sporttrac XLT
Alright so heres something thats been bothering me for quite some time. I'm a tall guy, and no matter how low I put my seat. My rear view mirror is well...a problem. I don't have any clue how the mirror is mounted to the window, but what I was wondering is... how hard would it be to move the thing upwards...and yeah, if I move it up too far, my mirror will not auto-dim any more... I was also thinking about deleting the thing all together, hardwiring my auto-headlamp timer, and putting in some sort of rear view camera hooked up to my sterio head unit.... what do you guys think? has anyone uses a rear camera...is it a practical replacement?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's just held by glue I believe. I need to move mine up also. I'm 6' and the thing is just too damn low.

How does it compare to your 98 and 97? I've never heard of this problem... interesting. I believe JoBunn said he's 6'9... maybe he can advise? I'm just about 6'4 (3.5), anywho, I don't have any issues with the Ex or the ricer... You guys got interior pics? My neighbor is my height and has a SprtTrac, no complaints that I've heard...

yep held on by glue, there should be a set screw (probably hex) at the base of the mirror closest to the windsheild.

- go to the auto store and buy the rear view mirror glue kit (about $5 or less)

- undo/loosen the set screw and slide the mirror off.

- somehow take off the metal piece stuck on windsheild - I wont provide instuctions for that, incase you crack the windsheild and want to sue me.

- read instructions on glue kit, and stick the metal piece in the windsheild where you want it to be - do a dry fit with the mirror before glueing it.

let it dry for whatever time instructions say, then put mirror back on.

bump

If you have a double din headunit (size of screen is bigger) with AV input, the rear camera mounted on the bumper is really good. Seen it in action on an avalanche, much better than the mirror.

I was thinking about going double din...my main concern though is the glare from the sun. I know I have trouble reading the clock on my deck when the sun is shining on it.

Back