• Register Today It's free!

body sway at 65 mph

socman829

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt 4 door
Can't go 65mph with out my whole truck's body swaying from side to side, swaybars on or off, still does it
have new ball joints, have no clue what's going on, i'm runing the super lift 5.5" kit
any ideas?
anyone else have this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think you answered your own question
i'm runing the super lift 5.5" kit

new shocks might help as wel as an alignment

Yeah, the lift will do it to you. Running a dual shock setup up front would probably help out alot. Is it whenever you go over 65 it just starts swaying? do you get any vibrations? I know when one of my front shocks broke i'd be cruising down the highway and if i went over a bump my truck would start rocking really bad till i let off of gas.

I ran the Superlift 5.5 for many years on two different Exploders without body sway. Actually I did get a little but I was running RS9000 shocks and left them on setting 1, no swaybars, and about 20psi in the tires. What is your current shock setup? Have you checked all your front end bushings lately?

I will assume you have the SOA in the rear. This will make the rear soft and floatly. A dual shock setup front and rear can help aleave the sway or a set of RS9000s.

alright, replaced all of my front end sway bushings, and got procomp es 9000's all the way around, and it did nothing. i noticed too that when i put torque on the motor it gets worse, and if it hasn't started yet, it will. any ideas?

The es9000s may be too soft. I get body sway if I leave my shock too soft. Adjustable shocks or dual shocks help.

I have noticed that with the TTb front end, the alignment can be way off if you have cracked a mount somewhere. If it tracks funny, that can cause the truck to kick around @ 65mph. An alignment will show if something's out of place.

the front end lifts up quite a bit when i get into it from a stand still. would this have anything to do with it? bad leaf springs maybe?

it could be bad leaf springs but i also sounds like way too soft shocks

Check your tire pressure. I have a 5.5-inch lift. If tire pressure gets to low I get body sway at highway speed. Do you have a steering stabilizer? Check for loose bearings, ball joints, and steering play. Also check your radius arm bushings. My truck drives very well as long as everything is right.

no steering stabilizer, new radius arm bushings. roll is slow, but dramatic.

Get a steering stabilizer, you will be very happy with the results.

whats up man i had the exact same problem..... i am also running the 5.5 with the super runner radius arms and a 2 inch body lift.....and u need a steering stabalizer its a must.... i got mine from james duff... but i didnt like the bracket that came with it not really made for an explorer so i just welded it on....... i think the swaying is because of the extended radius arms just because they are so much longer and what not u get so much more wheel travel... might not be but hey.... lol..... i would also reccomend some rs9000x 9 way adj shocks... since i installed the steering stab.. got better... when i installed the shocks.. it rides almost as good as stock but just a bit stiffer.... if u want i can get u the part numbers for the shocks i used took me like 4 days to get the right part number but like i said i love these shocks.... the best mod i have ever done....also u might have a problem with the alignment... i need 2 see if some one makes a bigger dropped pitman arm to get the steering components back to stock angles i have a problem when i hit bumps that cause the wheels to kinda jerk sideways towards the right but i dont know.... n e ways get adj shocks.... trust me

would just any steering stabalizer work? mount?
i know my shocks are good, because when i installed them i had to lift the truck to get enough leverage to push them up, they're stiff enough.

iroczddp, I've heard from a few people they went to the super runner steering setup and that help solve thier bumpsteer problems.

yea i heard that as well... but as it is right now i am good i think... it drives almost like stock so i will leave it like this for now untill i feel the need 2 upgrade... actually if i could get a more dropped pitman arm it would all work out just fine...but its all gravy

Start with the steering stabilizer. It is cheap and fairly easy to install.

There's only one drop pitman arm. The super runner steering is worth it's weight in gold. That was prob the best mod I did to the TTB, 2nd only to the SAS.

Back