Body work newb. Materials??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body work newb. Materials???

I have a big dent in my rear quarter and thought I would try learning body work.

On kind of a impulse buy I got a stud welder, some hammers, dollies and sand paper at H/F for about $150.

I noticed that O'Rilies has Evercoat body filler now (1 gal for about $25). Is this the right stuff. I have some old school Bondo but I don't want that on my truck. Bondo brings to mind an image of cracks and bubbles with rust underneath and hard sanding.

Secondly, can a use a aerosol primer to cover the bare metal.

Any other pointers are more than welcome.

When I get started I will post pix and maybe you can send me in the right direction.

Can an admisistrator rename this thread as it is working out better than planed and may actualy be of use to someone. Also with respect remove this post. I think it could be more aproperatly named "Help with Quatrer dent" Thanks.

Okay, I had a dent and bought some evercoat, some hammers, and a 36 grit grinding wheel. I finally found a use for the factory jack. After an entire day I found that sheetmetal is a little like clay, if you have a ton of patience. The finish work looks like some unchartered teritoty

Attachments

• SANY0013.JPG
    SANY0013.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 616
  • SANY0014.JPG
    SANY0014.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 606
  • SANY0022.JPG
    SANY0022.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 606
  • SANY0026.JPG
    SANY0026.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 608

Monmix will be in here soon, hes the man- I'll listen to my priest at Christmas, and Monmix at the body shop... :D

That's not a bad job at all for a start! That's how I fixed the crease on my '99 SHO...

I hope so because I got it close. Then my eye got sharper and I realized about the work in the tail light area. Do you ever get past that OCD thing or does it bring peace of mind?

Next will be finish work and I can see where this is going.

You got to be good to do this, and I got into it before I can get out of it. LAMO.

Back