Bought 2018 with 1200 miles - new question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bought 2018 with 1200 miles - new question

jrc9614

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 XLT 202A
So, we bought the 2018 EX with 1200 mile dealer demo which they assured us was driven by a manager and not a courtesy car. They did mention quotas as to being a reason for it being titled.

The B2B warranty began April 1, 2019 and they are throwing in a 7 yr/200,000 Extended power train warranty. Is there any reason to buy an additional ESP?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The powertrain warranty covers a very limited portion of the vehicle...drivetrain components such as motor, transmission, rearend, etc. Depending on the ESP you purchase, you can get coverage for many more systems...electronics, power windows, various sensors, etc. If you plan to keep the vehicle a while, you may want to consider an ESP.

I wouldn’t sounds like you got a great deal with the warranty tossed in.

That's a decision you'll have to make. Looks like you have the more expensive items covered but there are others that could break down. If you do decide to get the ESP, it would be a good idea to contact blwnsmoke as mentioned in the 'Sticky' section of this subform. This may be useful, but always check the item NOT covered as well. Compare Plans

Peter

That's a decision you'll have to make. Looks like you have the more expensive items covered but there are others that could break down. If you do decide to get the ESP, it would be a good idea to contact blwnsmoke as mentioned in the 'Sticky' section of this subform. This may be useful, but always check the item NOT covered as well. Compare Plans

Peter

We did buy an ESP for our 2014 though a recommendation on this form. Definitely will do it that way if we decide to purchase and I appreciate the reminder!

Read CR on reliability for this body style. I'd get the warranty

AK allows for demo vehicles to be sold as new, as long as they were used by the dealer for promotional purposes and never titled/licensed to a retail buyer. If your paperwork says you bought a used vehicle, than you likely did not get a dealer demo vehicle and it was previously titled and registered to someone. A demo vehicle will always have a higher value than the same used vehicle as demos still qualify for manufacturer incentives. Also, lemon laws apply to vehicles sold as new, not used, so details matter should the vehicle have issues.

Did you get a Carfax or similar report showing prior titling/licensing?

Who is the warranty company?

Caveat emptor.

So, we bought the 2018 EX with 1200 mile dealer demo which they assured us was driven by a manager and not a courtesy car. They did mention quotas as to being a reason for it being titled.

The B2B warranty began April 1, 2019 and they are throwing in a 7 yr/200,000 Extended power train warranty. Is there any reason to buy an additional ESP?

It isn't a Ford warranty so I'd be very cautious about all the fine print with the 3rd party warranty.

AK allows for demo vehicles to be sold as new, as long as they were used by the dealer for promotional purposes and never titled/licensed to a retail buyer. If your paperwork says you bought a used vehicle, than you likely did not get a dealer demo vehicle and it was previously titled and registered to someone. A demo vehicle will always have a higher value than the same used vehicle as demos still qualify for manufacturer incentives. Also, lemon laws apply to vehicles sold as new, not used, so details matter should the vehicle have issues.

Did you get a Carfax or similar report showing prior titling/licensing?

Who is the warranty company?

Caveat emptor.

Thank you for the information provided above.
The vehicle was not purchased in AK.
Yes, the CarFax is clean and indicates it was titled to the Dealership and gives that date as the beginning of the factory warranty.

Did you end up paying the $30K plus TTL? What was the final out the door price?

Thank you for the information provided above.
The vehicle was not purchased in AK.
Yes, the CarFax is clean and indicates it was titled to the Dealership and gives that date as the beginning of the factory warranty.
Laws are similar in many states. What state did you actually buy in as your profile says/said Alaska? A titled only demo is typically sold as a demo. Do you know/understand why it was sold as used if it was only titled? Or, was it actually registered for some reason? I've never heard of dealer demos being registered.

I would get the ESP if you plan to keep it past the end of the bumper to bumper warranty. I used it on my '13 quite a bit, got a lot fixed before the 36k mark on my '15, and I'll be using the ESP on the '15 shortly. None of the repairs on either were for powertrain issues.

Laws are similar in many states. What state did you actually buy in as your profile says/said Alaska? A titled only demo is typically sold as a demo. Do you know/understand why it was sold as used if it was only titled? Or, was it actually registered for some reason? I've never heard of dealer demos being registered.

Here is what is stated on CarFax:

Vehicle purchase reported
Title issued or updated
Dealer took title of this vehicle
while it was in inventory

Good job...hope you enjoy the new ride, congrats!
Thank you! Considering we are very happy with our 2014, I believe we will be just as pleased with the 2018!

That was a loaner car...there is no such thing as a "manager car". That said, it doesn't make it a bad deal. But I would absolutely advise one of the ESP with rental coverage. Why? If you car goes in for an extended period of time, they are under no obligation to provide a loaner or rental car. Mine has been in the dealer over 120 total days so far...(mostly just sitting there...terrible dealer)....without ESP or a loaner car, i'd be paying for a rental. My rental coverage is max 10 days, but i just take it back, then get another as needed. They moved me to a loner car eventually as they got tired of paying for the rental. And if that powertrain isn't a Ford warranty, it is worthless. I'd demand it either be certified used, or a true for ESP.....

Back