Brake issue, possibly ABS related? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake issue, possibly ABS related?

dr fildo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mounaineer
I just replaced the passenger side hub/bearing assembly. It went as well as could be expected, except that I noticed that one of the pistons in the caliper is leaking. When I put it back together, when I apply the brake I get a terrible grinding and vibration through the brake pedal. With the ABS connection from the hub DISconnected- no vibrations. So I'm guessing that the caliper is bad, causing a malfunction with the ABS? I can't see how the ABS system suddenly is malfunctioning unless the abs sensor in the hub/bearing assembly replacement is bad.

Yes I checked and re-checked the caliper bolts and the pads are properly placed.

Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the caliper is leaking, replace it.
Check the other front wheel speed sensor, make sure it's clean. They have a tendency to collect fine metallic dust.

I replaced the caliper. No issue with the sensor unplugged. When I plug it in, I get no ABS light on the dash, but every time it hit the brakes I get crazy vibrations in the pedal and horrible grinding sounds. Both sets of front brake pads have plenty of life left and the rotors were replaced the last time I did the brakes.

I don't think the problem would be coming from the other side since this problem started immediately following the passenger side hub assembly replacement. I think the replacement unit they gave me is faulty.

Could be a faulty hub or very warped rotors.

It happens.

It was a faulty hub.

How do you get a faulty new hub assembly?

Did someone clean up a used one and return it to the store?

At least it didn't take you too long to figure out the problem!

I was surprised too, intelisevil. Process of elimination. It was the last thing - I replaced everything else around it that it could have been. Luckily it all needed replacing anyway.

Back