Brake light always on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake light always on.

Tedshuey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer sport
My brake light will not always go out when i release the emergency brake. The brake fluid level is good and there is no variation during stopping and accelerating. It seems to be electrical as i can sometimes jiggle the emergency brake release lever and the light will go out for a while. any idea on the sensor or electrical wiring of the emergency brake. Thetruck drives fine and there is no issue with the brakes, just hate staring at that light all the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that would effect the brake light on the instrument display? I'm not talking about my Brake lights staying on, just the idiot light on the console. The only way i can get it to go off is to press and release the emergency brake or jiggle the release lever but it eventually comes back on.

i don't know about the '93, but on one of my '01's i was having trouble with my dash idiot light NOT coming on when the parking brake was on. when i checked the parking brake mech a saw there was a small switch which was supposed to be activated when the pedal was pressed. after playing with the switch, and spraying it with WD40, it now works fine. maybe your switch is out of adjustment or broken.

Thanks I will try that. I have 2 explorers this one is an 2001.

my guess is that the switch, which is activated by the parking brake pedal being depressed, actually makes the ground connection for the idiot light. if your light is on when it shouldn't be the ground must be being made when it shouldn't be. i'm curious to know what you find.

Back