• Register Today It's free!

Brake lights stuck on, helpppp!!

mercer21

Reaction score
City, State
NEWFOUNDLAND CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 EXPLORER LIMITED
Hey the last few nights after i got home and shut off my rig the break lights sayed on and iv tryed everything to shut them off from turning the lights back on and off starting up and driving useing the breaks tapping on the tail lights and they wont go off at all does anyone know what could be causeing this????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey the last few nights after i got home and shut off my rig the break lights sayed on and iv tryed everything to shut them off from turning the lights back on and off starting up and driving useing the breaks tapping on the tail lights and they wont go off at all does anyone know what could be causeing this????

Wierd Ive been experienceing this with my 02 also.

Check the Brake Pedal Position Switch (brake pedal switch). It's located above the brake pedal. You may have a bad one. Disconnect the connector and see if light goes out. If yes, that's the problem. If No look for a short. Otherwise, it could be in the multi-function switch on column (turn signal switch). Post back your solution.

sometimes the brake switch just needs adjusted. look for an adjustment before buying a new one.

We've experienced this exact same thing on our 2002 XLT. I just fixed it this weekend. The wire harness connection to the brake light switch was loose. The brake light switch is connected to the brake pedal, toward the top of the arm of pedal itself. I noticed I could reproduce the brake lights staying on by pulling on the wire harness plug at the switch, as if to disconnect it. It would pull out 2 or 3 mm, and the brake lights would stay on. Pushing it back in would fix the problem. Seems the harness plug is/was loose. After I unplugged it, blew it out with compressed air, plugged back in, and wrapped some duct tape around the plug/switch assembly to ensure it stayed plugged in tight, the problem was fixed.

Greg

And another update:

Our brake lights stuck on again. I took the brake light switch out of the truck, and examined the pins on the switch, where the wire harness connects. They were corroded. I cleaned them off with a small straight-blade screwdriver, put it back together, and all is well.

Greg

Back