Brake Nightmare!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Nightmare!!!

Reaction score
City, State
SoCali.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 EB
Ok. I have no clue what is wrong with my brakes. So far between me and the mechanic we have replaced both calipers, rotors and pads numerous times, both hoses, master cylinder, and had the rear drums resurfaced and rebuilt. Here is the problem. My brakes have an excesive and uneven wear pattern. Only the fronts. Basicaly one side will wear out to like nothign and the other will be hardly warn. ie. I replaced a rotor and pads on both sides. Drove it for a few weeks, the tranny went out. Just got it back from the shop and I need new pads. The calipers are under warrantee so my mechanic said he could look at them for free and if it is them they would be fixed under warrantee. If not one option i have thought about was to ask if there is any kinda upgrade kit that x drivers do...like an f150 swap or expedition swap or something. If you have any information on anything that can help me or prices or anything please post.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's no upgrade to F-150 brakes available (short of a knuckle or sraight axle swap). As for the brake wear, is it the inner or outer pad that is wearing? If it is the inner pad it is a caliper sticking. If it is the outer pad, the problem is with the caliper slides.

i would check and make sure that you have'nt got a kinked hydraulic brake line somewhere along the system, fialing that i would seriously consider if you have not got any foreign matter inside your system. you indicate that wear is uneven only between the fronts, so it's not a front/rear proportional distribution issue. Also that both front calipers are new and consequently one would think in good working order. This would then lead us to assume that it's a question of fluid/power restriction to one caliper...maybe you could simpy unfasten the lines at the master as well as the calipers and blow them out. good luck with it, sadly this is one of those jobs where your're looking for minute detail. cheers ,Marc

thanks for the replies. it is the inner pad that got the most wear but the outer was over warn as well. how do you keep the inner pad from sticking? also i just pulled off the wheels and found to my surprise that there is no abnormal wear at this time. i think it will come on again though. but this still is wierd cause i hear a noise that sounds like my brakes are scraping and when i come to a stop it squeels....could it just be because my truck has been sitting for a little bit?

People fail to replace old caliper slides, or properly greaase them.... I'd look into that were I you... Can't hurt, no matter what!

I've got to agree w/ Glacier...it's most likely the slides. I don't think that the slides are the best design, but they are what they are. Expect more wear on the insides (piston side of the caliper) than the outsides. When you remove the calipers, you have to knock/hammer out two retaining slides that are basically a couple of pieces of angled channel with rubber in between them. The metal is shaped kind of like "<>" as an end view with rubber holding them apart. These are what lets the calipers slide in and out which is supposed to allow for even wear. I have, in the past, taken a Dremel tool (with a wire brush) to clean rust and general crud out the channels in the calipers and retaining body that these slides fit into, put a little grease on NEW slides, reinstalled them, and still not had completely even wear between inside and outside pads. It made a difference, but since there is still uneven wear, my advise would be to use brake pads that have a lifetime warranty (so you only have to pay for one set and you can keep replacing them whenever they get close to being done). The old slide pins had rubber that was pretty hard (after 10 years or so), and the replacement ones from Ford were a little softer, so for less than $20 (less than $10 a pair or per side), it might be a good thing to look at. Probably a much better choice than replacing rotors or calipers again (and reusing the same slides).

Here in Colorado, they use a de-icer on the roads in the winter called magnesium chloride, and when it leaves a hard cement-like powdery residue. I've noticed that on all the vehicles around here, that the capliper slides get crusty with the stuff and so - viola' - uneven brake wear.

Back