Windsor, ON Brake Mechanic Recommendations? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windsor, ON Brake Mechanic Recommendations?

jonnycanuck

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited
Long time lurker, first time poster....Rear brakes are toast on my 96 Limited. Not terribly mechanical here, so need some advice!! My girlfriend and I took the wheel off, got the caliper off, but couldn't get the scored rotor off. I think the caliper was sticking and wore the outside pad down severely, while the inside isn't too bad.

Would love to do it at home, but concerned about all the little details mentioned in all the other searched posts.

So can anyone recommend a mechanic here in Windsor that specializes in Explorers? other than Crappy Tire, Midas, etc.

Or give me the confidence to get that darn rotor off? And then could I just replace the rotors, pads and calipers?

Thank You in advance, Jonnycanuck

i have heard that on 2nd gens, the rotors(esp rear) sometimes get rusted on. a sledge hammer is your friend in these situations. seriously. some people are afraid to use them, esp on brake components, but this is really the only way to get some components off(i know its the ONLY way to get my rear brake drum off, but i imagine rotors would be similar) be sure to follow the directions in your haynes manual to make sure you are removing everything correctly.

Back