• Register Today It's free!

*** Brake Problem Please Help ***

Sonny

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB V8 2WD
Hello all, been along time since been on the board. I have a problem that seems to be a special problem.

When driving first thing in day all is good, drive about 15 miles (city) and when coming to a stop light and sometimes but always ONLY under 5mph to complete stop there is a noise. The noise would lead you to believe the pads are gone, grinding type noise but not metal to metal. X STOPS FINE otherwise.

Park it 1 hour and no noise then another 15 miles its back. Pulled calipers pads are good, all looks fine brake fluid full.

Took it to Brake Max, tell them about the noise they drive it around block, pull wheels and say 50% pad left and ask me "now why are you here, we see no problems" I tell them I just drove across city, take it back out and hit the brake hard and come to a slow stop a stoplight. They do this and sure enough they come back and say yes they hear the noise.

They pull the calipers and all looks good, say maybe to "change the pads but cannot be sure if this would fix problem" So I say I will think about it. They clean up the pads and put it back together. 1 1/2 hour later I am taking it home with same problem as when I brought it in.

So I go and buy Semi Metallic pads and put them on. Did not turn rotors. SAME thing as before. What is going on? The people at Brake Max have been working on my cars for years. What could be wrong???

Thanks, Sonny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sonny said:
Did not turn rotors. What is going on?

THere's your problem right there. Get your rotors turned, and since you have already put new pads on a bad surface, take sandpaper (not heavy grit, but not too fine) and resurface the pad surface. My dad's Jeep has the same problem. My grandfather slapped some pads on it and called it a day (when we bought it). Well I was rotating the tires a couple weeks ago and say the rotors they looked blueish purple with like almost a mirror shine on them. His need to be resurfaced badly -- but who knows when that'll happen. He says it doesn't bother him, so it doesn't bother me either. :thumbsup:

Anyway - 90% guarteed that that is your problem. Just make sure you look at your back rotors and pads and see how they are doing as well. Good luck

-Drew

Could it be the ABs cutting in? Sounds like what happened in a friend's X and he needed to replace the front ABS Sersors.

I've never heard of the ABS Sensors causing a brake noise. Unless it was somehow bent in and hitting the ABS Ring

-Drew

Try this experiment...

I had what sounds like a similar problem a couple of months ago. The symptoms were when you would slow down nice and gently just at the end of the stop you would get a buzzing/grinding that you could hear and slightly feel in the break pedal. I suspected the ABS, so I pulled the 2 ABS fuses under the hood to see if the problem went away. And it did. If you get similar results, then what worked for me as a cure was to pull both abs sensors and clean the rust that had "grown" around the mounting holes.

And come to think of it, I had an under torqued caliper bracket bolt that gave me similar problems a few years back (no pedal effect though). Because of the loosness, the caliper would reverberate sometimes at low speed giving a bit of grind/squeel/squeek even though I had lots of pad.

- James

He doesn't seem to be complaining of an ABS noise. Seems to be more of a warn pad sound or metal to metal. I still stick with my answer.

-Drew

i have the same sound/noise in my ex. but my problem is my rotors and pads are new, if i pull everything off and use sandpaper on the pads then it goes away for a few days.so im left wondering if it is a caliper problem...

jamester_a said:
I had what sounds like a similar problem a couple of months ago. The symptoms were when you would slow down nice and gently just at the end of the stop you would get a buzzing/grinding that you could hear and slightly feel in the break pedal. I suspected the ABS, so I pulled the 2 ABS fuses under the hood to see if the problem went away. And it did. If you get similar results, then what worked for me as a cure was to pull both abs sensors and clean the rust that had "grown" around the mounting holes.

And come to think of it, I had an under torqued caliper bracket bolt that gave me similar problems a few years back (no pedal effect though). Because of the loosness, the caliper would reverberate sometimes at low speed giving a bit of grind/squeel/squeek even though I had lots of pad.

- James

Thanks, I like the process of elimination, really do not have much rust problem here. Your description sounds just like what I hear/feel.

ExplorerDMB said:
He doesn't seem to be complaining of an ABS noise. Seems to be more of a warn pad sound or metal to metal. I still stick with my answer.

-Drew

Thanks, I went to a shop and was going to let them turn the rotors. I just wanted to get it done. The guy asked if there were ceramic pads on it prior. I was not sure but still have the pads to check. This guy said that he would do the rotors but the problem would return. He said that the ceramics heat the metal so much that it screws up the rotors and the only real fix was to replace them. Sounds like a crock to me.

I am going take your advice and pull them myself and get them turned. Start simple.

I was also told by Checker that it could be a caliper, do you think that could be a possibility? I pulled them loose and pressed the peddle and both sides look to me as working. Any real checks to find out. I do not get it as it is like clockwork, cold fine, 13-15 miles right back again.

I am going through the same exact problem. It started last year. I had a very good friend that is a mechanic drive mine and said it was the pads. I replaced the pads and went away for about a year and it has returned.
I have been going through the same process and my thoughts were the same, is my calipers working correctly. Are they not retracting enough. I drove mine for a while until the grinding started, pulled off the road and checked for excessive heat on the wheels. did not seem any hotter than normal.
I have not had my rotors turned so i think i will take that route with new pads. ANy suggestions out there for pads. I always buy the cheapest ones, because they are softer and don't heat the rotors up as much. at least this is what i have been told.
Will keep watching this thread to see if there is an answer for our problem.

well your rotors are heating up...just takes awhile. Anyway, only real way to tell is to take temperature readings. Test a known good car, and take the measurement on those rotors. If they are somewhat close to the Explorer - then you are ready to go. When you start to get into the 60+ degree range higher than the other...you may have a problem. Also if a caliper is sticking it'll wear the inside pad more (like a real difference, not just a hair different). Anyway, ceramic pads aren't exactly the best for "noise comfort", but they do eat up your rotors faster.

-Drew

Well I pulled the rotors had them turned and cleaned up the pads. Drove it, same thing. The old pads were worn pretty equal so would that mean no caliper issues, RIGHT? I do not know what to do next. I don't want to just start changing parts and throwing money at it. I cannot believe how wierd of a problem this is.

It is like the pads are not pressing against the rotors hard enough and give way with vibrate type feel. Hard to explain in words.

I also pulled the fuse on the ABS still had problem.

Can it be as simple bleeding the lines, I would think if that were the problem it would do it all the time not just when hot.

Any advise? :(

You have checked your rear brakes correct? When you slide the pads into the cradle without the caliper on...can you move the pad up and down against the craddle? If you can - that's a problem. You need shims or the little hardware kit that usually comes with new brake shoes.

Bleeding the brake system will not eliviate the problem. Air in the lines should only really cause you to have a low pedal. You could try it though just to be safe and count it out.

Did you rough the pads up and give it a new finish? Did you clean the rotor off before slapping it back on? Is there a "non-directional" finish on the rotors? Take a picture of the set up and the condition of the pads and rotors - I will be able to tell you more if I could just see the darn stuff. Sorry to hear your having a problem still.

-Drew

Drew, Thanks

"Is there a "non-directional" finish on the rotors?"

I do not know what you mean...

Roughed up the Pads, brake cleaner on the rotors; yes...

I will pull this thing apart this weekend and get some Pic's. I did not check the rear as the feel seems to be in the front.

I did notice when when I put the new pads on they just slide into place real easy, now that I think about it too easy, they would fall out if I touched the pad and pushed on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No kit with new pads (Checker) This could be it. ;)

Thanks for hanging on with me.... :thumbsup:

I am not the best at repairs but am a Perfectionist to detail, just takes me 3 times as long as someone that does the work all the time.

Hopefully we can all help you out. That's why this site is here. We just need more money to keep it running (ie. Elite Memberships). Oh, and a non-Directional finish is like the "final" cut on the rotor (with usually emory cloth), but it just gives the rotor a little rough feel and weird spiral look (its not exactly neccessary, I think, but I've been told over and over to do a non-directional finish) Good luck

-Drew

Update *** Brake Problem Please Help ***

Thought I would post on the situation since some people were having same problem.

After pulling the rotors off for a second time and repacking the bearings, checking everything out close I still had the problem. I found a good local shop and was told they had seen this before, they said it was the pads. I had enough so I said just fix it. I stayed while they re-turned the rotors just to set the surface and installed new pads. It has been 4 days now and the problem is gone.

I think that by me not turning the rotors before I installed the pads somehow effected the way the pads contacted the rotor surface. If you are having the problem and do it yourself do a complete job the first time and save some money. By me trying to cut corners I cost myself more.

Thanks DREW, you were right on with your 1st reply. It just would not work without replacing the pads again. I really do not understand as I have done the same thing with older Fords for years. :banghead:

I have new pads and rotors all the way around but I also have this noise and pedal feel when just about to stop...I will pull the ABS fuse tomorrow and see if that changes it...
I will let you all know..

Back