Brake Question Please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Question Please

desertlites

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
93 Exp. My ABS light comes and goes (have read here maybe a sensor) will pull the wheels and clean soon.Lately at times when I depress the brake peddle I will hear a groaning comming from under or around the floorboard area?seems to sound like a diaphram.also I feel some resistance in the peddle when this is happening.A point in the right direction will be much appreciated.Thanks!

The groan your hearing is the ABS pump working the fluids and pulsating the calipers open and closed. You will feel the ABS in the brake pedal with your foot. This is normal.

When the ABS light is on, the ABS pump is switched off. Does it blink? Count the blinks and the pattern. A Haynes manual will have the break down of the number of flashes telling you whats wrong.

When you say a "diaphragm", do you mean like you hear air?

thanks Gman for getting back to me-No the light is not blinking just seems to come and go a few times a day-and the sound isn't a air leak it just sounds + feels like a noise a diaphram would make.So now I'm thinking that the light is prolly not due to dirty sensor??

We need to know what the conditions are when you feel it in the peddle. Does it happen every time you depress the pedal...or...just when you press hard on the pedal?

Is it interfering with your driving?

A bad sensor, or connector line could be the problem.

A bad Master cylinder can be the problem.

A pump going out can be the problem.

Air can be in the lines making it act erratic.

Best bet is to take it into a brake shop and have it checked out if you feel it is a serious problem. Let us know what your outcome of this is when it gets fixed please.

Back