• Register Today It's free!

Brake rotors and pads.......

Yamvip

Reaction score
City, State
Swanton, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4 4.0L FFV
I'm either going to go with Auto Zone (Duralast), Or Napa's line. What do you all think there rotors and pads are about the same price. As for quality I'm not sure which is better????? There is an advanced auto, but i never bought anything from them before. Let me know your opinions, i plan on doing a complete brake job next weekend........
Thanks for the input

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Duralast has a good reputation and so does NAPA, imho unless your forking over $100's of dollars for this stuff none of its 'great' but just good enough. Yes they work but they won't last long or do a good job, or may warp in the first rain storm.

I use Murrys' or they are called Checkers in some places. Similar to the Zone, I've also used NAPA now and again. Neither store is close to me but Murry's is.

Back to my Ex which just got two sets in the last six months. First time i got Murrys premium Performance Frictions (PF) for $60 and to my dismay they where very poor in braking with a lot of fade. Paid good money for them too. I also reused and turned my rotors (factory) as only 20% was worn. But they warped again during a day long rain on the highway 5 months later . . . . so after 6 months i redid the fronts again and put new pads on the rears.

For the Fronts - This time i looked at EBC Green 6000's that i found online, along with Murrys Raybestos 'Advanced Technology Metallurgy' rotors for $50 each. Awesome so far.

For the Rears during changing the first set nobody had them in stock and the parking surface was so bad that i had no choice, so i got cheap Chinese rotors for the Rears for like $40 each and PF pads too. Rotors are ok not much rust yet but the pads like the fronts stunk. Since they only had less than 2000miles on them, when i put new EBC's on the fronts I also did the rears.

So far after 2000 mi they are great. I used brake parts from many stores over the last 30 years mostly to great dissatisfaction. Any good brands, Hawk, EBC, Brembo are 'big' names that seem to have quality stuff and they should if they sell rotors are $200 each . . . although i couldn’t afford them.

Just a perspective hopefully it helps

Don't get Duralast, had an old friend get them and they were junk, honestly, we're talking about your safety here, this is stopping power, I know the good stuff ain't cheap, but it's better than slamming into the rear of the car in front of you when he decides to make a sudden turn. Raybestos are good brakes, the PGs are decent and they have ceramic pads as well. I'd check online at RockAuto.com for good prices, they're a EF dealer so you can get a coupon for 10% off on here, just search it. But if you want the best you can buy - PowerSlot rotors and Hawk pads. I bought the Cryo version of the PowerSlots and to reduce the chance of warping I'm willing to pay the extra.

Other good brands as mentioned are EBC and Brembo, my stepbrother found EBCs for a steal online. Avoid drilled rotors, slotted are good. And always follow the bed-in instructions.

I've installed Duralast pads in the rear of a Toyota Avalon, and the lady said that she is happy with them. It's almost 2 years later, and she still has them, so I guess that they are good. They have a lifetime warranty, so it's not bad for the price. I have a set of Duralast shoes waiting to go into the back of my 95, so I haven't tested them personally as of yet. If you want something heavy duty without worrying about them wearing out in a short time, get the carbon metallic pads from Wagner or Performance Friction.

I just put duralast ceramics on all 4 wheels of my 04 and am very happy. They grab nicely, smooth, quiet and no brake dust on my wheels! they are a little pricey at about $50-$60 / axle but you only have to buy them once as they are guaranteed for life.

On my 96 I bought one set of pads in 2000 when I bought it, and keep returning the same pair when they wear out. Next time I do them on the 96 I'll be upgrading to the ceramics.

if you have the money i personally think ebc has excellent rotors and pads...

I use R1 concepts,they are very reasonable,I run the crossdrilled/sloted and they run around $100 for a pair.I can post a link if you want
117fip4.jpg

Posted via Mobile Device

Had Hawks up front - not impressed. Dirty, increased pedal pressure for the same deceleration.

Went with EBC Greenstuff (6000?)pads and EBC rotors up front on the next change. I love 'em. VERY LITTLE dust on the wheels, great pedal feel.

Word of mouth is... Duralast rotors warp quickly.

I bought my rotors from carquest(no slots). They also carry akebono ceramic
brake pads for the front.

The rear pads are PBR's ceramic from Tire-Rack.

No Problems.

im running HAWK PADS front and rear... and running BREMBO OEM ROTORS...

big fan of my current set up... i think next i will get some slotted rotors just to compare the performance...

I just put Autozone's C-Max pads up front and they are probably the best pads I've used yet. I've done tons of brakes on tons of vehicles and these take top honors among store brands. I tried greenstuffs on my wifes subaru and the separated from the backing. Not worth the money.

Just sell your kidney and give Baer Brakes a call. Do a full track system that will slow the beast down at any speed :)

Yeah I was thinking about going to c max route....

I've had bad luck with NAPA pads. They are the only ones to my knowledge that are riveted instead of bonded. Every set I have had (alot) have cracked at the rivets. Sometimes I lose part of the pad. I had one completely come off which in turn wasted the rotor. The rotors are NAPA too, and are warped to crap. I've been thinking about going to raybestos for my next set of rotors and pads, which will be soon.

So with all this input , i'm not sure?????? Napa and oreilly's and auto zone are the only parts store in my area and i planned on doing all four corners tom. Ohhh my...

Back