Brakes Lights won't turn off 2003 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes Lights won't turn off 2003 xlt

GreenEyez

Reaction score
City, State
East Rockaway, NewYork
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
So I guess I should give some backround. I tried cooking today which was a shocker enough thankfully didn't burn the house down. Sister tells me my brake lights are on I go outside and check and the battery seems completely dead won't even try to turn over just the brake lights on. I hook it up to a charger and the alarm starts going off an hour later. After cursing at 2:30am with the battery for about 25minutes I disconnect the bloody battery and hook it back up to the charger. Any ideas on how to fix the brake light issue? And pray that the ancient charger doesn't spark up a storm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would guess that the brake light switch on the brake pedal is stuck on. You can try disconnecting the electrical conector or pull up on the brake pedal.

I just wiggled the electronics going into the brake pedal and it seemed to fix the truck. I'm going to keep an eye on it to hopefully make sure this doesn't happen again.
On another note does anyone have the problem when reconnecting the battery the car alarm goes off. It is kind of annoying in the afternoon and really annoying at 3am haha. Thanks for the help.

Ford sells a servie kit which installs old style brake light switch and wiring, very common problem.

I've had an intermittent problem with the brake light switch sticking too. Killed my battery twice, but doesn't do it consistently enough for me to get excited about fixing it. Never heard of this TSB about the brake light switch. Got any info on it?

Back