Brand new newbie looking for advice on '02 auto transmission issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brand new newbie looking for advice on '02 auto transmission issues.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4.0 XLT
Hey guys, first post EVER!

I just picked up a used 2002 explorer. it's been used and abused, but i believe it has a lot of life left in it! the transmission is the only issue with this vehicle. I have put about 150 miles on it in the last two weeks and it is always the same.

1st start of the day, let it warm up for 5 minutes, until the trans temp gauge is in the middle. drop it into "D" and pump the gas 2-3 times until it "catches". then it kind of shakes a little, then it proceeds to drive. "R" works right at start up no problem. nothing wrong with reverse.

My truck also has the 1st-2nd high rev/clunk into gear. 2-3 is smooth, 3-4 is smooth, and in general it drives fine. My O/D light is always flashing, pushing the button does nothing, and the transmission never shifts past 4th.

I have pulled the diagnostic codes P0731-P0735 which is "incorrect gear 1,2,3,4,5 ratio. The OSS in the back of the trans was bad, i replaced it, and that code went away, but it did nothing for the incorrect ratio codes. (what is the most commonly broken part that would cause this "incorrect ratio" issue?)

I have built a few cars in the past, engine swaps, motor rebuilds, but very little messing around with auto transmissions. i would like to fix this myself, but i am unsure if i should try to drop the trans pan and replace parts (solenoids perhaps?), or other such items, or try to find a good used trans to drop in.

i have searched/read many post about these issues, but what i am looking for is people who have walked down this path and if fixing the trans worked long term, or if i should just cut my losses and drop a rebuilt one in. At this point i think the transmission will no longer go into drive, and i have to decide what to do soon considering i bought this to be a winter driver.

Thank you for your advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the ~$1600 a completely remanufactured unit from RockAuto costs, with a solid warranty, it is in my opinion the best way to go. You can fuss with and fight with rebuilding it yourself, or trying to fix just the certain issues you currently have, but at the end of the day the money and time spent is going to end up about the same or worse.

I had a similar problem while on vacation a number of years ago when I was on vacation in Maine (live in NY). I took my truck to a repair shop where I know the owner for over twenty years. The trouble was caused by a steel piston that controls the second gear and I believe the OD bands. The clutches had already started to burn. It does not happen when the transmission is cold, only when it heats up.
My transmission man took it for a spin on the highway and could not duplicate the problem until it was up to temperature.
The fix was to machine the aluminum housing to accept a bushing that would not wear.
That happened at 68000 miles. I now have 110000 miles with no problem. If Ford would have fixed it, they most likely would have replaced part of the aluminum housing. Because the problem had generated particulate, the transmission still needed to be rebuilt.

thanks guys. i am shopping around locally to try to find transmission repair shops. i have found 1 guy that i think i will go with. he can sell me a refurb'd trans for $1,300 and do the install for $1,600. it seems that this is a pretty good deal from what i have read, and considering a lot of trans guys quote $2,500.

honestly i have less then $750 into this truck ($500 for the truck. $130 in a wheel bearing to get it home, $120'ish in trans fluid + filter and tune up supply's). it has cleaned up great, and would still be pretty cheap even after the $1,600 put into it. the engine seems solid, and is free from codes, i am hoping with a solid transmission behind it that this will be a great daily driver/snow vehicle. i will also be adding the 3rd row to double as a family hauler assuming i can make this reliable.

20150831_103856_zpsjrd9dbip.jpg
this is after 4 hours of detailing....it was filthy!

thanks guys.

You might want to ask him if the servo bores have been sleeved in the trans that he is putting in? If it is a good shop that will be done.
Bob T
:usa:

thanks guys. i am shopping around locally to try to find transmission repair shops. i have found 1 guy that i think i will go with. he can sell me a refurb'd trans for $1,300 and do the install for $1,600. it seems that this is a pretty good deal from what i have read, and considering a lot of trans guys quote $2,500.

Does that include a new torque converter? New solenoid block? Sleeved servo-bores? What sort of warranty does it include?

I've been down this road with an '02. The guys above are giving solid advice. Make sure you get the servo bores sleeved or you will be right back in the same boat very soon. This is a serious design flaw.

My '02 now has 100,000 on the rebuilt transmission, and I am really glad I spent the extra to get the rebuild done right.

You may get away with this fix, but I don't have any personal experience with it and don't want to say for sure:

http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/

Good luck.

I was able to buy an empty trans case with the servo bores already done. It was on ebay. I rebuilt my own trans. The tools to do it yourself are pretty expensive. I spent about 900 to do it myself.
Bob T

P1030586_zpsbfn0gzhb.jpg

This was my main problem.

rwt101 did you buy the youtube link and follow the instructions? did you buy a rebuild kit? from the link some of the reviews make it seem like this is something you can do with the trans on the vehicle. mine is 4 wheel drive, so the transfer case is completely in the way.

I have done motor rebuilds and other such things, this has me nervous though.

The case that I bought had the servo bores reamed out and inserts put in. That is not the same as the servos with the "o" rings on them.
I did but a trans rebuild kit, a new solenoid block, valve body shift kit and like I said the trans case.

I am a certified ASE Master Tech. But most of my experience has been with forklifts and heavier equipment. So I have a lot of tools.

If I would have just replaced the servos and the solenoid block, that would not have solved my problem.

You have to take into consideration that you have to remove the trans and transfer case and take it completely apart install all the new parts and do some measuring of the clutch packs ect. And then put it back in. This is a lot of work.
Bob T

what is the sleeved servo bores? my truck can sometimes be "retarded" at picking gears (one out of 100 shifts?) Ive always thought it might be a solenoid pack thing or something simple, it only hangs between 2-3 for about 3 seconds if that. not super noticeable unless you are hitting 509 trying to rack 90 mph in a elephant..lol

The servos apply the bands in the trans. The servos look something like a mushroom. the shaft goes through the case and pushes on the band. The shaft is steel and the case is aluminum . The hole that the shaft goes through wears and then the servo looses pressure and don't apply the bands properly and also looses pressure in the rest of the trans.
If any of that makes any sense. So to solve the problem they ream out the hole and insert a sleeve that will not wear out like the aluminum will.
You can also look in the trans section and search "servo bores" and you should get some more info on it.
Bob T

Back