Brand new to Explorers

Deacon

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hello all,

I am being forced to sell my '99 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Sport 4x4 and take over my wife's '97 XLT,4.0.

I am seriously going to miss the ride height of my Dodge...what types/brands of lifts are out there for me? I am also going to miss the 5.9V8...any cheap power tricks for this engine?

Thanks,

Deacon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. Man, that's two new people in the last 30 minutes.

Don't worry, you can find everything you need here. Don;t know that much about lifts, but all the info is here.

There is anything between a simple 2" spacer lift to a 5.5" SOA lift.

Thanks for the welcome...:)

I have been an avid reader of 4 Wheel and Off road for years, and the only product I could find from their advertisers was for a 4" Superlift (for my year anyway).

Apparently, 1995 saw a big change in the X....

I have not found much on the '97s here, but I probably am looking in the wrong places.

I want to be able to see over all the minivans again! ;-)

Deacon

I think you can do the Torsion Twist (TT) in the front and shackles and add a leafs in the rear for an easy 2"s. That should be enought for some 31's or maybe 32's.

Heres a few shots of my '97, do you have a 2wd or 4wd?

This is TT/Shackles (Budget Boost, BB) and a 3" ranger body lift on 33's)

223222_43_full.jpg

223222_104_full.jpg

I have 4wd (controller on the dash...LOL)...

Nice looking ride!

I'll have to go figure out what all is involved with the Torsion Twist.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Site.
There is a thread on the Shocks, Suspensions, and Lifts forum that will tell you all about doing a Torsion Bar Twist.
There are 2 manufactures that make Suspension lifts for the Explorer. Trailmaster and Superlift.
The Trail master lift will have to be modified to work on 95-97 models, the superlift doesn't.
RCD will be coming out with a Coilover 5" lift that will get rid of the Torsion Bars altogether.

You can fit 31X10.50's stock.
With a Torsion bar twist and Warrior shackles, you can run 32's. Add a 3" body lift and 33's will fit, but some truck rub and some don't.
I have a Trailmaster 98 Ranger 4" lift and a 2" body lift, but my 33's rub at compression in a turn sometimes.

Back