Broken down need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken down need help

Vince_IV

Reaction score
Just got a new battery, alternator tested good. Heres what happened. Driving home from work and my 97 Ex XLT 4.0 SOHC started stuttering for lack of better terms. Gauges went out and truck shut off. Got a new battery amd now my Rx will start amd idle around 1100rpm for 15-20 secs then shut back off. I just clranrd tdhe IAC on top of engine block and its still doing the same thing. Truck was running perfect yesyerday before this happrned. My ex is currently sittimg in a parking lot and im out of ideas. Please help ASAP!

Also when i put alternator back on i cant seem to figure out where a plastic tube from big plastic intake tube goes.

Would it be item 2 below?

Air Cleaner Outlet Tube — 4.0L SOHC

Removal
1.Remove the air cleaner outlet tube (9B659). 1.Disconnect the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor electrical connector.
2.Disconnect the crankcase ventilation tubes.
3.Loosen the air cleaner outlet tube clamps and remove the air cleaner outlet tube.

From what I can barely make out in a not very good diagram it looks like the ventilation tube plugs into the top of the valve cover.

I'm pretty sure if that hose isn't connected it will really mess up the EGR system which has quite an effect on the engine operation.

Back