• Register Today It's free!

Broken into 97 Explorer

Leitner6

Reaction score
City, State
Puyallup, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
While I was in class (Going to school for Firefighting) someone broke into my truck in the parking lot and stole a coat, my lunch, and a pair of jeans, but didn't touch my bunker gear (fire gear), helmet, gloves, tools, etc, my wallet, money, and everything else of value in my truck.

I was pretty pissed, but at the same time, happy they didn't take anything TOO valuable.

For the last three days I thought I must have left my truck unlocked for some odd reason, and just recently, I realized that the key hole in the passenger side door was all bent out and there was a mark under it where the paint was chipped off!

Needless to say, I felt pretty stupid not realizing it sooner, but am still confused as to why my alarm didn't go off.

Just thought I'd post pics in case it happens to anyone else.

Might temporarily just put electrical tape over the passenger side key hole, or would it look worse?

(My explorer is dusty :p haha Washed it after the pics ;)

uploadexp.jpg

eeeeedog.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stock system really isn't a alarm.. Its just a keyless entry system.. It won't go off by picking the lock, popping it, etc but will if you push the button from the inside or pull the handle to release the lock from inside.

ahhh. Then it makes sense. I might just invest into a better form of security.

Thanks!

*******s! I am glad they didn't get your really valuable stuff. A good upbringing and a strong work ethic are obviously not their strong points. Sounds like they might be yours though, so good on you. Have a laugh on these losers...one day a guy in their cell will be thinking they look pretty.

Alot of new vehicles do not have a passenger side lock for that very reason...instead of repairing you might consider a delete. I have thought of doing the same to my '98 XLT. I am now thinking about doing it soon...

haha thanks man :) , but very true. What goes around comes around! :D

And as far just deleting the passenger side lock sounds like a hell of a good idea.

Only other concern I have is the back of the truck, under the handle.

Might just get rid of both haha

Glad they didn't take your bunkers, I doubt your station Chief/gear manager would be happy about that. :eek:

It sounds like someone needed just a change of cloths. You provably would have gave that to them. The other stuff provably did look too much like "work ethic" stuff. I have never had one of my shovels get stolen and don't feel like I have to worry about them.

Yea, he'd be pissed. Thanks.

And never thought of it that way, you're probably right!

I am glad you posted this because It looks like he got in with a pocket knife. I had heard of people who do this kind of stuff to get some kind of sick rush, and who else knows how to manipulate a lock. Then again there a lot of unemployed out there now.

None the less you have me thinking about getting a system installed.

Yea. Not a problem! Found this forum day after I got my explorer, and have been a fan since. Least I can do is contribute what I can every once in a while. :)

And the area I go to school at (Tacoma, WA) is more of a low income area, and at the same school there are high school dropout programs, etc.

Since then, I've parked next to the other 3 explorers that park very close to the school.

But instead of getting a system, I MIGHT just take out all the locks except the driver side, and fill them in and paint over it. Even if it doesn't look AS good, I'll be able to breath easy while away from my truck.

Removing the locks? I'm worried I would leave my lights one time and get myself locked out. I really don't want an embarrassing oversensitive alarm either.

I guess a car isn't exactly a safe but It seems like it should be safer than that.

<quote>And the area I go to school at (Tacoma, WA)</quote>

Oh wow, I'm trying to become a Police Officer for Tacoma PD :)

It sounds like someone needed just a change of cloths. You provably would have gave that to them. The other stuff provably did look too much like "work ethic" stuff. I have never had one of my shovels get stolen and don't feel like I have to worry about them.

So the criminal is the victim?

The criminal caused alot of damage to someone's property to aquire "non work ethic" stuff. The criminal violated someone's personal space and probably caused grief, inconvienience and expense.

Do you have a rational explanation as to why this could be legally justified?

Robbing the neighbourhood does not make one Robin Hood...it makes one a criminal...and criminals go to jail.

Robert: Not ALL the locks, just every one except the drivers side :p: . Since I'll have a lot of time on my hands for thanksgiving break, might just give it a go and see how it goes. Worst comes to worst, I'll put them back on before I do any permanent changes :)

Matt: Right on man! :) Tacoma has a great police dept. My dad's been working for the Tacoma Fire Dept. for over 27 years and really likes most the cops they have out there. Good luck ! :thumbsup:

Rockymtnhigh: I kinda get what he was saying about the work ethic stuff, but I agree with you 110%.

94fourdoor: WHERE CAN I GET THAT INSTALLED?! hahaha Only thing I'd be worried about would be the poor guy that parks next to me when someone tries breaking into my car. They'd come out to their car and see the midsection charred black :p hahahaha

Also, I have the keyless entry pad and remote key lock/unlock.

I thought you might appreciate that! Just make shure that you don't park next to any brush or dry grass or you will be working overtime! LMFAO!

hahaha very true. Might start wildland firefighting a few months early this year ;) hahaha

Back