Building a Snorkel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building a Snorkel

Reaction score
City, State
New Fairfield, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Has anyone built a snorkel for there Explorer? I have seen a few cherokees with them, and it looks like they were bought and bolted right on from a magazine. Could it be possible to use one of the jeep ones abd modify it fit the explorer's engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The intake on a Jeep is on the oppisite side of the engine compartment from the Explorer. And the Jeep does not use a MAF sensor. Nothing is impossible, but it may not be worth the effort.

do you have a pic of your explorer?? if so please send it to me at vbfreak2001@hotmail.com please.

later

I found this web site, and they make snorkels for a bunch of 4x4's, but not explorers. I emailed them to see if one of the other kits could be retrofited. There were some where the snorkel was on the passenger side where the explorers air box is.

http://www.safari4x4.com.au/docs/snorkel.htm

I believe the ideas of snorkels have been tossed around in the past... you may want to do a search on em. Basically hears what i think you could do, and yes it would require some drilling but it'd look BOSS! OK, so pop off the airfilter, keep the MAS where it at... see if you can find some flexible tubing about the same size with a hose clamp or something that size... you'd have to relocate your fuse box that is on the passenger side of the vehicle to somewhere else (and that would NOT be easy,but hey, we're talkin snorkels here!) drill through the body there, to the outer fender... then take the same tubing, run it up along the passenger side of the windshield to a K&N air filter that is mounted above the door. It hink it'd look boss, but too much work for me :). And as many people on the board here have noticed, there are times when a snorkel would come in quite handy :).

Check out the web site called the rangerstation.com they have instructions for a snorkel for rangers. Robbie

robbie:

is there more to that web address -- i went and it was south park?????

Hey Scott,
I bet that the SS80HF could be made to fit the Explorer.
check it out. You would have to fab a piece between the outside tube and the air filter box, then close up the original hole, and Presto... you got a snorkel.
The SS60HF might work also
SS80HF
ss80.gif

SS60HF
ss60.gif

If you build a snorkel for ram-air, don't you kind of lose the ram-air effect due to the twists and turns of the tubing? You'd need 3 or 4 inch tubing for it not to be restrictive.

Hi Alec,
Good question, and I don't really know, but I have talked to acouple of toyota guys that had them and they tell me that it does have a small affect like ram air. Now they could be jiving, I'm just taking their word for it.

vent tubes?

I was reading in the owners manual (probably my first mistake). It said something about a vent tube on the transmission or transfer case. Do we have to worry about getting water in there?

Thanks

Yes you most certainly do. Ask Sinjin[PEZ]. When he got stuck in that river his tranny ended up with water in it.
$$$.

After tearing apart my fender just to see what you would have to go through in order to do this. I think that the first pictures one looks like it would work somewhat better. The only part I think will be a hard fit is making the bend with the KKM or K&N conical airfilter. As you can see in the pictures Ray posted the air filer they use is totaly differn't. To me the hardest part is finding the right materials to go around your filter totaly enclosing it and then going to a tube which would connect to the tube going up your windshield pillar.

Why not use the stock airbox and seal it up like they mentioned above? Then you wouldn't have to worry about the conical filter.

Originally posted by HIX
Why not use the stock airbox and seal it up like they mentioned above? Then you wouldn't have to worry about the conical filter.

I would have to go to the junkyard to find one again. :) Mines long gone. Plus the routing of the holes wouldn't work out so well. Both the air intake and the output are on the same side. You need one with a straight through type of design. Now granted I have not looked real hard to find something like this so I am sure there are some out there. I just know that the stock box wouldv'e been hard to figure out.

Just cut a hole in the other side and seal up the air intake hole on the engine side. I would love to put a snorkle on mine...but the Wiff would kick my goods. I am having a hard enough time getting to install a lift! Get all your toys BEFORE you get married!

Yeah that would work. I do want to keep the KKM though. I know for a fact I get a major power increase out of it so I don't want to le tthat go. Ah well I will get it figured out. As far as that whole buying things goes, I can't afford to buy any toys right now anyways so I am not to worried. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wanted to look but the link did not work???? And, for the record, my wife would think I was NUTS if I put a snorkle on ... but she thinks that anyhow.

So I would consider the up the fender deal b/c she would never know -- Since I put the Bosche+4s, K&N, Tornadoe and Cherry Bomb all she talks about is how those engine thingys I did to get better gas mileage really make the truck run more smooth (I think she misses her Miata from before the baby ...) She even thought the shackle/twist lift was great b/c now she car see over the cars in front of her. she says, "Like when I'm in my minivan" (NOW THAT HURT A BIT)

Back