Look at this Snorkel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Look at this Snorkel

Reaction score
City, State
Caracas, Venezuela
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Hey guys, I´m kind of new on the Forum, but I have been doing a lot of reading and I realized that now one on the Forum has found a Snorkel that fits the Explorer. I hope this would help you guys to get an idea of how to built your own snorkel. I took this picture from a 4wd magazine in Venezuela (my country) is a Snorkel mounted on a F-150.
The only thing I don´t know is that after you get the snorkel mounted on what are the other mods are needed (like the computer that´s on the firewall on the passanger sit, etc..) if anyone knows please let me know.
I´m planing of building one like the one in the picture but I wanted some more opinions about it.
I hope you can see it usefull and you can built yours.
Forgive me if my English is not vey good!!!!

Dead Link Removed

Ricky-Venezuela
2000 Sport
Caracas, Venezuela

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you scan in a larger picture? I can't make out any details.

picture

i have made a poormans snorkle. 2 years ago in VA we had to huricanes one after another. where i lived at we got a pile of rain and there were parts of my neighborhood that were underwater. we were under voluntery evacuation but there were people that couldnt get out. well i have a kkm induction and i knew that in 3 or 4 feet of water i stood a chance of sucking in some water. so i took the old air box and installed that over my kkm. the way the stock box bottlenecks down to a 2inch opening is what i was after. i then got my wife vacume cleaner hose and attached it with pipe clmps i then ran the hose through the air passage through the grill and up over the hood. i then (keep inmind this was temporary and i had to make it work from things in the garage)duck taped the hose pointing down onmy antena. it worked great and there were a few spots that the water went over the hood. now granted i woulndt sell this set up or rcomend duplicating it but i was able to go and get some friends from their house and bring them to our place. i also drug all kinds of people from their car's watery grave. people couldnt believe that i had an explorer driving through a pile of water.

so im saying GO FOR IT! man it will be so cool to build a good snorkle especially if you have to have one where you live or go wheeling at.

Larger Picture

Zensius here is the link to a larger picture of it I hope you can see the details better.
I found out that it is made out of aluminum with PVC corners and they conect the aluminum with rubber conections, it is 3" (diameter). But I´m still trying to get some more details.

Buchvilleman thats a scarry adventure, but after reading that I´m sure i want a Snorkel for mine.
But I still don´t know what should i do with the computer that is located on the fire wall on the left side.
If you know please let me know.

thank you guys for all your coments and I´ll be waiting for your opinion Zensius

Ricky-Venezuela
2000 Sport

larger Picture

Sorry I forgot to paste the link

Dead Link Removed

ricky.... cboug76 already linked that up higher post # 2 i think....

Looks nice, Ricky. Love the color of your Explorer. You can't get them yellow around here.

Looks nice, Ricky. Love the color of your Explorer. You can't get them yellow around here.

I took this picture from a 4wd magazine in Venezuela (my country) is a Snorkel mounted on a F-150

I don't think you can there either.

Originally posted by offroadkc
I don't think you can there either.

My bad :eek: Should read the entire post next time ;)

That is a great looking snorkel. A lot of the do-it-yourself kind can look like a plumbing kit gone wrong but that one is real nice. I especially like the detail of where it enters the fender. I have a '92 so my under the hood set up is different. Maybe someone with a later model can help you with the computer location problem. Good luck. I love to see it done.

Still planning

I already bought all the thing to do it, but I´m still waiting for the computer thing before I start doing anything.
Hopofully some will help me solve the computer problem...
Ass soon as I do it, I´ll post some pictures for you guys to see

Back