Bullit Proof A4LD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bullit Proof A4LD

Ok I heard that the A4LD was a piece, Now I believe it! It started slipping between third and fourth and I took it to a friends shop. He Drove it, looked at the fluid and said yep it is frying the clutches. He estimated $1600 plus labor. So I took it wheeling and it has gotten worse, as he predicted. So I have been Looking for a wreck or a cheep tranny, manual or auto- I don't care! I was really upset because I have burned up 1 A4LD and I thought putting a new one in would only be prolonging the problem. I am running 33s and 3.73s. I also love the Rocks. Well, I found a Fix out of Florida:

Heavy Duty/ High Performance A4Ld
Rebuilt totally
3 stage shift kit
custom work for crisper shifts
3.88 first gear (I believe the stock is 3.23)
A taylor made Torque converter
1 year warranty
and a bunch of nice guys who answered all my questions

Total Cost: (Shipping and all) $660

Guess I am putting it in in 2 weeks, I get pictures and a reaction.

I don't have a Job, so this is what I was praying for, guess it got answered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It'll be nice to hear how it turns out. Sounds good so far, but real life results will show how good it is. I was talking to Leebo, a loong time ago, about a shop, I believe in the Ohioish area, where they built some highly modded a4ld that could take a boat load of power... maybe he could chime in, if he knows more on it, or if the shop is still in business or working on a4ld's.
Peter

Kirby,
What's the name of the place?
Do they have a website?
Jim

Originally posted by CoryL
Sounds too good to be true.

You can't even get a stock rebuilt manual transmission for that price.

That thought was running through my mind.... like i said, i guess we'll see what happens.

It is true. You can get a rebuilt stock A4LD out of Pheonix for about that. I found it on ebay and then talked to the shop in person and had him put in the gear and some other upgrades. His name is dave.

Email Address is:res1nuh4@verizon.net

He said he had 3 of em. 1 sold before me, so there is at least one left. His shop is in Holiday, Florida

Dead Link Removed
Heres the other one he has listed on ebayDead Link Removed

Uh....

But I've been burned in the past by "rebuilt transmissions" that have been cleaned and rattle can spray painted.

Good Luck....

I think I'll just do it myself.

Brett

Good Luck

I hope this works out- Im a little skeptical though- it says a 4wd tranny, but the pick seems to have a 2wd pan.

What information did you get on the gear change to 3.88 the stock ratio is 2.48 and it is some work to change out the planets.

What did they say about the clutches and bands that they use?

What about the OD planet that is more of a concren than first gear- though a lower first would be sweet.

Do they sell the gear changes seperately?

Curious like everyone else.

For $650 you can harldy buy all that parts to rebuild the transmission and that is if you get your parts for cheap.

I would be VERY skeptical about that price.

I hope it works out for you.

Also I do not believe the A4LD to be a POS, they have just gotten a bad wrap from people who dont understand that a tranmission needs maintenence and that automatics wear out, especially light duty ones with aluminum overdrives such as the A4LD.

Another thing about your post that would scare me is the fact that they install a shift kit, anybody who knows how to build a "performance" automatic would prefer to modify the valve body itself for performance enhanments, not install a aftermarket kit that will actually increase the hydraulic pressure insaide the transmission thus putting more strain in the pump and the internals..

My custom A4LD cost almost $2000 to build and that was done by a friend of mine with a huge discount. The parts to replace the internals opf an A4LD are expensive..

The nightmare usually begins at the rebuild...............

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted..

I am going on 15K miles on my rebuidld, which I use to tow a #3500 boat, go 4 wheeling, and as my daily driver. I run 31's, 4.10's, L/S and an ARB up front. The A4LD has not missed a beat or even run hot, so so far so good......

Kirby that is a good price.

I though I did good on Mine too. Rebuiltby Ford Trans Tech. with Heavy Duty Torque converter, and shift kit. For $675

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

As Far as the 1st gear, 3.88 could be wrong, could be a 3.08. I called him and someone ordered it with another tranny he built and then didn't pay so he had it collecting dust and threw it in free. He said it would normally cost 60 bucks for the part. He is building it right now, so he'll throw it in while he is there.

That is a pic of a 2x tranny. He sells those too. On the one I almost bought first there was no pic. He just used the same one he does for the 2x trannys

The bands are suppossed to be wider than stock ( I think he was giving me all this technical mumbo jumbo ) and he said they were tougher. The clutch packs he put in there he said had like 3 more plates than stock- More better I guess.

I'd say me and Kris think alike .:D

Valve body work? He did that as well as the shift kit.

The torque converter cost me 90 bucks. He is custom making it because he said he makes the rest of the tranny work so well, and hook up and shift so well, that the torque converter is usually the weak link.

He said he'll have it out by thursday, so I should get it next week, I'll let you all know how it goes

I really like the Way my A4LD works now. I plan to install another cooler and Change the Oil every 15,000 miles or every year. They Last good if you maintain them.

Does the shift kit make much difference?

I might put in another cooler. I am going to change every year though. Dave said to use Trick Shift Synthetic because it dissapaites the heat, does that sound right? He also sai I should consider getting a remote filter. I really just want a Tranny Temp guage.

Got some questions for you guys: Should I change the oil sonner the first time? How much oil does it take? Thanks.

The Shift kit made a big difference. You feel the Shifts More, and it helps off road as well with better responce.

I am considering the extra Filter as well. I feel a Tranny temp gauge is Not going to help you once the tranny starts getting hot. I want my Tranny as cool as it can be mainly during slow speed crawling.

Should I change the oil sooner the first time? How many quarts does it take? thanks

yeah lets hear how it works......maybe interested in a new tranny sooner than later:(
-bah dumb@ss me i dont even have this tranny!

He should give you the detail on the break in period. I believe it is 500 miles. I filled mine up with some cheapo ATF and drove it for 500 miles then did a pan drop filter and fluid change. Then I filled it back up with Synthetic ATF.

How many quarts it takes depends on your cooler, lines, converter, etc. I believe my system holds about 9.

I have a class A motorhome tranny cooler with an aux inline filter, next is the temp gage, though I doubt I need it with this cooler.......

I will change the filter and fluid once a year, I try to use nothing but Mobil one synth ATF and dacron filters.....

Good luck!! again keep us posted as that is a great price if it works out!!!

Don't forget to replace your modulator valve if you start losing ATX fluid. I learned that lesson the hard way by letting the mod valve on my X go too long without replacement. I got off easy tho $1025 for the rebuild. The shop here did damn good work too. I also learned a good secret from my dad. On the rebuild we put in John Deere Hydraulic Fluid instead of that Mercon fluid. The transmission seems to take to the power shift fluid rather well. You guys might want to give that a try, my dad's '78 F250 has used that same stuff in the C6 auto and he's gone through three engines on that tranny.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also I do not believe the A4LD to be a POS, they have just gotten a bad wrap from people who dont understand that a tranmission needs maintenence and that automatics wear out, especially light duty ones with aluminum overdrives such as the A4LD.
The problem is this trans isn't suited to its purpose at all. This trans never should have been put in a heavy 4x4 truck. Also FORD shouldn't have been so cheap and put on a crappy OD.

Back