Buy or not buy the ESP premium care plan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buy or not buy the ESP premium care plan

Dbrackney

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer sport
Should I consider buying the premium care plan on a 2016
Sport picked up a week ago. I know covered 3/36 but plan
On keeping vehicle 8 years plus. So please advise if to buy
And if so when to buy?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are planning on keeping it 8 years, then I would definitely buy the plan, but I would also shop around to find a dealer that is willing to discount the plan. A number of years ago, when I purchased another new Ford, after a few months, I got a number of letters from dealers in far off states, that wanted to sell me a Ford plan at a discounted price. I didn't buy it, but I did pay for a lot of repairs once it was out of warranty. I plan on trading my car for a 2018, so buying a plan isn't in the cards for me. I will let the next owner invest his money. The only thing that the plan would provide me in the next 3 years would be a rental car if the repair is going to take more than a day. Other than that, I don't believe that it will pay for anything that isn't covered under the bumper to bumper 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. After that, I believe that there is a deductible for all covered repairs.

Here you go.. have referred well over 100 people to Joel. $100 over cost, cheapest on the net and a straight shooter.

http://tworiversford.com/ESP-Quote/

Request joel in the comments or mention the Explorer forum for the price.

I purchased the 8yr 125k premium care from Lombard Ford in Connecticut. 0% for 12 months, could not beat it. When a vehicle has a warranty left on it even with 100k to sell outright, it's a no-brainer. To me, it is worth it for the electronics. Not worried about the power train BUT if a turbo goes out, it pays for itself.

Get it, but from the internet vendors mentioned. I had a steering rack go at 9500 miles. Would have been a $2,000+ repair if it went at 37k miles. I'm happy to have the security; these cars have a lot of new and expensive electronically controlled subsystems that seem to fail without warning. Repairs often involve changing the whole (expensive) component system, not old-school bench repair, or diagnosing and fixing it with a small mechanical part. Plus, the ESP is transferrable. That means I can much more easily private-sell my car (for a higher price than dealer trade-in), and not be concerned that the buyer is going to drive it thru my porch if it has a problem days later. I am no fan of warranty programs (I remain skeptical about how easily warranty claims will be paid), and you know that Ford puts its best analysts on trying to ensure that the price paid for these warranties exceeds expected payout. But I think the pros outweigh the cons. Finally, it is backed by Ford itself, not a 3rd party claim company that might go out of business the day the warranty starts. Never buy from a 3rd party.

Thank you for the replies and recommendations
Keep in mind that the ESP, whenever you buy it, goes back and starts on the initial 'In Service Date' of your vehicle. So for the first 3 years, 36k miles you are covered by both warranties. Be sure to read the brochure on the ESP and particularly the part that lists what is not covered. Some members here have discovered that after the fact.

Peter

Why does Ford have only 3 year 36K a year car warranty when most car brands have 4 year or 5 year 50K - 70K warranty like Infinity, Buick..and many others. Also Hyundai offers a 10 year 100K power train warranty as standard?
Is that twin turbo Ford Explorer, F150, Taurus engine really that bullet proof as they say and don't care about adding an additional year or 2 or warranty just to re-assure their customers?

Why does Ford have only 3 year 36K a year car warranty when most car brands have 4 year or 5 year 50K - 70K warranty like Infinity, Buick..and many others. Also Hyundai offers a 10 year 100K power train warranty as standard?
Is that twin turbo Ford Explorer, F150, Taurus engine really that bullet proof as they say and don't care about adding an additional year or 2 or warranty just to re-assure their customers?

Premium brands have a longer warranty but don't fool yourself, it is built into the price. Lincoln has a 4yr/50k bumper to bumper for example because that is the premium brand of Ford.

Hyundai needed it because of big of a pile of donkey manure their vehicles were in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. They needed some way to get the public to trust their quality which their was none at the time.

Hyundai has come a long way since then.

Every Ford product that I have owned since 1997 has given me transmission problems between 90,000 & 125,000 miles. When I add the cost of a 8 year warranty ($3000), I think that I would be better off just trading it before the 3 years and the 36,000 mile warrantee is up. I believe that this will get me the maximum amount of return on investment. I always kept the cars till they stopped running, but now, I am too old to deal with car problems.

Every Ford product that I have owned since 1997 has given me transmission problems between 90,000 & 125,000 miles. When I add the cost of a 8 year warranty ($3000), I think that I would be better off just trading it before the 3 years and the 36,000 mile warrantee is up. I believe that this will get me the maximum amount of return on investment. I always kept the cars till they stopped running, but now, I am too old to deal with car problems.

You sound like 1 in a 10K bad apples. I have been driving here in NY in both 12 Edge Sport and now in a 14 Explorer XLT. This forum would have been filled with 100's of people with their trannies failing since this model came out. I don't know about 1997, but I have been stopped by several times by cops for speeding or dark windows and I have always been able to get through without a ticket. Even on 7/11 drive through I get compliments or a head jams by undercover or regular officers. Respect. They seem to respect Ford Explorer / Edge. Ford Explorer engine is solid.
I already test drove and ordered a 16 XP sport and when I tried it. It is a beast. I don't think that any Japanese SUV and many of Germans can come close to this. Its a solid and reliable engine by Ford.

You sound like 1 in a 10K bad apples. I have been driving here in NY in both 12 Edge Sport and now in a 14 Explorer XLT. This forum would have been filled with 100's of people with their trannies failing since this model came out. I don't know about 1997, but I have been stopped by several times by cops for speeding or dark windows and I have always been able to get through without a ticket. Even on 7/11 drive through I get compliments or a head jams by undercover or regular officers. Respect. They seem to respect Ford Explorer / Edge. Ford Explorer engine is solid.
I already test drove and ordered a 16 XP sport and when I tried it. It is a beast. I don't think that any Japanese SUV and many of Germans can come close to this. Its a solid and reliable engine by Ford.
My dad's crown victoria transmition failed on 190K, he repaired it for 3K and drove another 150K approximately.

premium brands have a longer warranty but don't fool yourself, it is built into the price. Lincoln has a 4yr/50k bumper to bumper for example because that is the premium brand of ford.

Hyundai needed it because of big of a pile of donkey manure their vehicles were in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. They needed some way to get the public to trust their quality which their was none at the time.

Hyundai has come a long way since then.

+1

Keep in mind that the ESP, whenever you buy it, goes back and starts on the initial 'In Service Date' of your vehicle. So for the first 3 years, 36k miles you are covered by both warranties. Be sure to read the brochure on the ESP and particularly the part that lists what is not covered. Some members here have discovered that after the fact.

Peter

Really? I'm surprised. That's not how Chevy does it. Theirs start at the warranty purchase date.

Of course that means they are cheapest if you buy them with the vehicle and every year after that the cost goes up. It would make more sense if it was based on in service and total mileage.

The transmissions that failed were in the '97 Explorer, '03 Mountaineer, and a '05 Eddie Bauer Explorer. I had the '97 repaired, and it gave me no more problems until the end of the life of that car due to rust. The '03 Mountaineer AWD lost the transfer case at 90K and the trans failed at 125K. The Eddie Bower the trans started acting up and was traded on a 2016 Limited before it failed totally. I bought the 2016 because I had nothing but good things about it, and I believe that Ford still builds better cars than GM & Chrysler. Also the dealers reputation was a major factor.
This discussion is about extended warranties, and my comments were addressing the possibilities of the costs in the event that transmissions do fail. I have a strong suspicion that the reason for the failures that I have experienced is a result of my wife's driving habits, but there is no way to prove that, and we all know that if I were to ever broach the subject, what the result would be. The only failure that I know of that was a result of a mechanical part failure was the transfer case.

When I add the cost of a 8 year warranty ($3000),

8 year 125k mile premium warranty

$0 deductible $2415
$50 deductible $2035
$100 deductible $1840
$200 deductible $1640

$0 deductible $2415
$50 deductible $2035
$100 deductible $1840
$200 deductible $1640

I'm sure it would be double if not triple the cost for Canadians.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$0 deductible $2415
$50 deductible $2035
$100 deductible $1840
$200 deductible $1640
Do they include 1st day rental?

Peter

Back