Buying a 1994 XLT with 93K... Should I? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying a 1994 XLT with 93K... Should I?

travlincub321

Reaction score
City, State
Portland OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
So, I am a long time explorer owner. My family has been driving them since 1990 and my first car was a 94 Explorer in 1999 with 70k....I have owned a 94,96, 98, 99 and a 00

I liked my 94 and it held up well from what I recall. I have been looking for a good 3rd car and a red 94 XLT with 93K for $4500 came up from a dealer about 30 miles away. Its 4wd and has just the basic package with a bench seat.. I didn't drive it yet, but i noticed it needed tires, a headliner and the door handle fixed.. I did notice the bushings and shocks had been replaced, the interior otherwise looked clean and it didn't look beat up

Kbb is $2700 and Nada is 3100.

My main concern is that with 92K, if I start driving it daily or using it alot, its gonna fall the hell apart and become an issue...

It has no rust and no other issues structully. I am just unsure if buying a 21 year old truck with 94K is wise....

I would otherwise be looking at a Taurus or a Crown Vic...... Or maybe a ranger...

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

~100K isn't much for a 91-94. Mine has 233K and I've yet to dig into the motor to tackle the known issues that pop up with higher mileage.

$4500 is pretty crazy though, especially if it needs hundreds of dollars of things like tires, headliner, door handle, who knows what else. Chances are good you'll be taking care of stuff like ball joints, and maybe even basics like brakes, spark plugs, etc. It may have new shocks and bushings - but what kind of shocks? Just because someone threw some cheapo shocks on there doesn't do anything for the actual value. They need to be good, name brand, proper SUV shocks, otherwise they are just another item that will need to be replaced, no matter how new they are.

A vehicle isn't worth the KBB value if it's got problems or needs 4-5 new tires. It might be worth $2000, maybe $2500 if the body (especially the rockers) is immaculate and rust-free with NO body work, but there is probably rust and the usual wear and tear of a 20-year old vehicle if there are issues like a door handle and headliner. Probably more if you really look. If it has the ultra-rare manual transfer case with auto transmission (the bench seat models had this for some reason), then it's worth more to someone who knows about it, but something like that isn't worth anything to a regular buyer who's just interested in buying an SUV.

The dealer is probably just trying to sell high to someone who wants an SUV but can't afford the 20-30K for something new or even the 10-20K for something used but recent.

The first gens are durable and reliable vehicles, so you can get one with 100K and drive it another 100K and sell it and not lose much money, but don't get ripped off - plenty of people have bought first gens for well under $1000.

You should also find out stuff like the gearing (some of the base models with bench seats have 3.08 "highway" gears, though 4WDs usually had 3.27 or 3.73), stock tire size (models with 225/70R15 tires usually have the higher gearing, although that would also be odd for a 4WD), and of course vehicle history. If it's been in a wreck or has recently been bought and sold 5 times, you probably want to pass, even for a low price.

The 93-97 Ranger shares a lot with the 91-94 Explorer, especially those with the OHV V6, so getting one of those could also be a good option if you'd prefer a pickup.

It looks as if it was a state owned car and then bought and put into private hands.. *I* could very honestly see this given where the carfax says it came from.. There is also an odd issue with the winshield rubber trim peeling up around the winshield.

I wouldn't pay more than $2850 for it... I will go make faces at them Monday and take my 2000 with me.

I found a cheapo set of Cooper made Guardsman Tires from sears with $380...... Headliner I can get done for $125... Door handle is easy enough... I'd make them fix the winshield... I also would have it fully inspected before purchase for anything major.. If it came out to massive bill, i'd walk away!

I don't need the 4wd either and not sure I would fix it if it broke... I might make it a 2wd truck... IDK... I know these rigs are cheap to fix

I am keeping my eyes open for stuff...

Rangers would be fine as well... But i only want the OHV V6 and 4x2 (i don't need 4x4)

Looks like the only thing rare on it IS the split bench seat, otherwise it is just another automatic with electric shift transfer case.

I wouldn't give more than $2500 for it, and that is because it has less than 100k miles on it.

No way I'd give a dollar over $2,700. If it were me, I'd try to stay under $2,500.

I love first gens, they're my absolute favorite Explorer design. But simply not worth THAT much.

I wouldn't spend more then $2K with tax. Look if your into a 1st gen you can find one for that or under. The mileage at this point doesn't matter because it's old. Sometimes old things that sit around can be a money pit. And again who know what it might need.

I picked up my 94 eddie Bauer in about the same condition for $1000. No way I'd pay that kind of money for a 21year old suv. Try and talk then down... Way down.

I agree with trying to stay under $2k for it, but I wouldn't worry about the mileage. I've got 392,000 on the original motor in my 94, and it still runs like a top!

that's just crazy high........and I noticed they are calling it a limited.....but its just an xlt. even the placard on the back says xlt that's probably one way they are trying to get more out of it.

One in almost perfect condition I wouldn't pay more than $2000 for. Assuming it is in perfect mechanical condition, with a few minor cosmetic problems put it at about $1500. If it really needs tires I wouldn't pay more than $1200.

I'd go with the majority, the dealer is dreaming - or waiting for a sucker and willing to wait a long time if needed. I've seen '94 XLTs and Limiteds in very nice condition with less than 150K miles for under $2000 in the Seattle area. As mentioned above, age as well as miles does count. The other possible issue is with that relatively low mileage maybe it sat for a long time without being driven. That could create problems as well. Boats, vehicles, and airplanes do not like to be parked for long periods.

I bought my 93 XLT a year ago for $1850. For that price, I got a 93 x with (I think) 115,000 miles, no rust and very clean interior. It's a 5 spd and manual transfer case. It had 31's on it, though they were pretty worn and I replaced them at the end of the summer. It came with a spare engine, transmission, transfer case and about 4 boxes worth of parts the PO had collected, including coil packs, ECM's, and a bunch of other stuff. I also managed to get the stand the engine was bolted to and an engine hoist in case I ever want to swap the engine. It had new shocks and ball joints.
The down side, I was told it had a lower intake manifold gasket leak which turned out to be a head gasket. In the process of replacing the head gaskets, I went ahead and bought new heads, rockers, and a few other parts so now most of the important stuff on the top end of the engine is new. I replaced both door pulls, but those are easy and will take you about an hour.
Point is, I have about $3k into mine and it's in real good shape. I like the first gen Ex's, so I get it if you opt to buy one. Just make sure you're good with whatever you spend on it.

Ask them why they want $4,500 for it.

Be prepared to walk away if they won't budge or let it go for less than $2,500. BTW, is the vehicle on the internet w/pics?

Back