odd sound during acceleration (3.5l ecobost) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

odd sound during acceleration (3.5l ecobost)

Tim P

Reaction score
City, State
Castle Rock, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 explorer platinum
Hello all, I tried searching the forum with no luck..

I have a 2017 explorer platinum with the 3.5l ecoboost with about 40k miles on it.

Recently, during heavy acceleration/full boost (high load, low RPM OR high RPM), it makes an odd noise. The sound is hard to describe but going back to my "fast car days", it sounds almost like something with the wastegate when at full boost. Maybe its not opening all of the way? It's kind of a mix between a weird rattle, squeak, and letting air out of a balloon with a small hole in it.

Is this something common, or have others had similar experiences? If so, what was the cause?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had same issue with no luck from any dealership. I've been told to just drive it and wait for a c.e.l. and not to worry that it shouldn't blow up.
Should note I have 2.3 EcoBoost

I have a 2017 explorer platinum with the 3.5l ecoboost with about 40k miles on it.

Recently, during heavy acceleration/full boost (high load, low RPM OR high RPM), it makes an odd noise. The sound is hard to describe but going back to my "fast car days", it sounds almost like something with the wastegate when at full boost. Maybe its not opening all of the way? It's kind of a mix between a weird rattle, squeak, and letting air out of a balloon with a small hole in it.

Is this something common, or have others had similar experiences? If so, what was the cause?

I have a faint air flow type noise coming from under the hood on my expedition with 3.5 ecoboost. It only does it under light acceleration though and it tapers off the harder I accelerate. I've been told it's normal but swear it didn't do it when we first got it but maybe wasn't paying attention. I can't hear it if the radio is on and my wife doesn't hear it at all. If you don't have a change in gas mileage and no codes I would do a good visual inspection of all hoses, turbo etc..

Welcome to the Forum Tim. :wave:
This does not appear to be a common issue from what I can recall. As Adrian posted, check to make sure the hoses for the turbos are tight and see if there have been any codes stored. There have been a few posts about the wastegate though.
The Dreaded Rattle Start
2.0 Ecoboost wastegate death rattle

Peter

Tim: question to maybe help us better understand the noise ...
Is it sort of a knocking only when accelerating where it doesn't matter the rpm but more so throttle position? If you "play" with the throttle does it lessen and you hear the turbo/Watergate (again forgive the terminology) whoosh?

Back