• Register Today It's free!

Cab lights??

Ford4life32

Reaction score
City, State
Garden city Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer XLT
Thinking about getting cab lights installed on my 4th gen. I have not found any pics with them on a 4th gen. Is it a good idea??:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it wld look kinda cool... was debating that on mine to be honest with ya...
first I wanted one of those windshield visors with the lights on it but cant seem to find one for the 4th gen...
was thinking the smoked cab lights lol

I think it wld look kinda cool... was debating that on mine to be honest with ya...
first I wanted one of those windshield visors with the lights on it but cant seem to find one for the 4th gen...
was thinking the smoked cab lights lol

Yea i think it would be unique if i were to get them done since i cannot find anyone with them. So i think im going to do it:)

dont forget the pics! lol

This might help:

2D2EA221-orig.jpg

818C67EF-orig.jpg

349EF583-orig.jpg

86DE849B-orig.jpg

I used the Mopar style lights (smoked lens) from Putco. I also am using LED bulbs instead of the incandescent ones that came with the lights.

For power, I tapped into the wiring on one of the side marker lights that are part of the headlight assemblies.

The lights look cool! I would only suggest evenly spacing the lights as that denotes "marker" lights, whereas the two outset with three inset are "Identification lights" which according to the DOT identifies a vehicle being 8 feet wide and at least a 1 Ton vehicle, which the Explorer is neither.

I'd like to do non smoked though - is it hard to do?

The lights look cool! I would only suggest evenly spacing the lights as that denotes "marker" lights, whereas the two outset with three inset are "Identification lights" which according to the DOT identifies a vehicle being 8 feet wide and at least a 1 Ton vehicle, which the Explorer is neither.

I'd like to do non smoked though - is it hard to do?

Thanks! From what I read the lights are required on a vehicle that is more than 80 inches wide/at least 1 ton, but nothing says that you can't install them on something that is less than those. Had them on for a few years now and never had issues with inspections or anything.

It was not hard to do, I just really took my time doing the measurements to make sure everything was spaced right and straight before drilling the holes. Also pulled my headliner down to keep from drilling through it and also to make it easier to run the wires. You'll also want to put silicon sealant into the screw holes before you run the screws in, as well as put sealant around the wire holes before attaching the lights to the roof. Generally it's the same as installing cab lights on any truck. If you have a sunroof it makes it easier since you can open it all the way and stand up in the opening to work on them.

This might help:

2D2EA221-orig.jpg

818C67EF-orig.jpg

349EF583-orig.jpg

86DE849B-orig.jpg

I used the Mopar style lights (smoked lens) from Putco. I also am using LED bulbs instead of the incandescent ones that came with the lights.

For power, I tapped into the wiring on one of the side marker lights that are part of the headlight assemblies.

Nice!! I cant wait to do mine now :D:D

not to misunderstand - They look cool!

Hey man, I'm not bustin your chops. I just remember that was on my CDL test and I didn't know the exact difference until the Statey giving my test "educated" me quite well. - I'm sure no copper's gonna care and certainly wont pull ya over for that

looks really cool though - and thanks for the help link

Hey man, I'm not bustin your chops. I just remember that was on my CDL test and I didn't know the exact difference until the Statey giving my test "educated" me quite well. - I'm sure no copper's gonna care and certainly wont pull ya over for that

looks really cool though - and thanks for the help link

Oh no worries man! I'm going to get my CDL next summer...need to start studying up!

evenly spaced lights -vs- two lights and three in the center

Having five evenly spaced roof-mount lights are "marker" lights; which just mark or identify that you are there. - such as adding amber lights to the sides to mark and make visible that your presence. Having five roof-mount lights where two are outset and three are grouped toward the center use the outer two in noting outward width of the vehicle and the three grouped lights "identify" that the vehicle is of greater size and weight; which is associated with differing stopping distance and handling characteristics.

An Explorer has a braking distance of "X" and handling characteristics such as a passenger vehicle. However, a four door, long bed, dually F350 with several thousand pounds in the bed has differing handling characteristics, potentially more dangerous in a hazard situation such as braking time or steering to evade an accident. Not to mention, if there were rain, black ice, or snow and in attempting to not be part of the multi-car pile-up ahead the driver hit's the brakes, but the load has inertia and pushes the vehicle into the minivan of kids in front and as the road has water run-off crown to its construction the tail end fishtails into making a multi-lane greater problem. So, "identify" it's a different vehicle and drive defensively leaving more room between you and that identified vehicle.

- My uncle was a CDL instructor for years and busted my hump on this one as "no kin to him was going to miss something that easy"

Good luck on the CDL test. Oh, and another I got ragged on is the greater chance to loose steering control happens "when entering/exiting a tunnel."

Back