Cai idea | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cai idea

Ahhh i see, I missed that you were building a box for it. I can understand the money situation, i can't afford the exhaust either but it would make a hell of a difference. Good luck with the project!, if I didn't offroad so much i would do a cai as well.

The stock airbox has a snorkel type deal on the front of it that sits right behind the headlight. You could route a tube from that to behind the grill and it might force some cool air in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah that was what I thought too. But then Sedition prompted huge attention to the fan idea. If its actually possible. My cousin is an engineer and I am gonna ask him for some guidance and help in this area. Maybe he will like the idea too and will want to help in more detail!

The throttle body spacers after market provides have a spiral shape machined into them. they claim pretty good gains - I have never known anybody to use one - but the idea makes sense.

The tornado goes into the intake before the throttle body, so yeah, the effect of that would be deminished when the air smashes into the butterfly. But, after the throttle body, The air is pulled right into the intake ports. The idea is the swirling air helps to atomize the fuel in the cylender, making it more efficient.

Im not saying my idea will be the next voted for popular science magazine, but the idea seems like it would make some difference if done correctly. Almost like putting the tornado behind the throttle body instead of in front of it, but it would have to be lower profile and plenty stable enogh not to be pulled into the upper intake.

It doesn't matter- do you think the "shape" of the air "vortec" will magically maintain the same swirling shape as it goes over, around, and through an intake and upper manifold?

Roll a marble on a paper plate cut in half- when it comes off the other side, does it keep going in a circle or does it go straight?

It doesn't matter- do you think the "shape" of the air "vortec" will magically maintain the same swirling shape as it goes over, around, and through an intake and upper manifold?

Roll a marble on a paper plate cut in half- when it comes off the other side, does it keep going in a circle or does it go straight?

Its a theory, not a quote. I'm not a scientist.

Your paper plate idea makes sense as well, but its a very different atmosphere inside an intake.

I like that this kid is trying his own ideas. nobody will know untill somebody tries it! Or some top notch computer design guy shows something and can manufacture it but it would just get dumbed down by the government so it wouldnt really help anybody.

Have reached max forum usage today... :D

banghead.gif

lmfao....I just alarmed people at work with how much I lauged at that!

Concept is drawn and ready for CAD...ill post pics of the CAD when I am done. any advice or suggestions would be cool-

Post PM to bump thread.

Sorry but I think you may be on your own as far as this is concerned. As far as I know what your trying to accomplish has never been attempted before on this forum. I would search on google and this forum to see what kind of CFM the SOHC engine actually induces into it's induction system at different RPM's and throttle positions to decide what type of fan you decide to use, and how you will couple it to your induction system.

I'm sorry I can't be of much further assistance to you in regards to this matter, however I can tell you if you decide to go ahead with this, think big in terms of power. In order to noticably increase the output of a 207 HP engine you need to be inputting some serious power.

I do know that there is a member on this forum who may be able to give you some assistance in relation to boosting you engine electrically. He is a retired Electrical Engineer and has many useful threads on this forum. I know he is, or was recently searching for a way to increase power to his SOHC engine and may be worth while seeking out. He may be able to give you some useful links or even CFM information that he has already found out. He goes by the name 2000Streetrod and would probably be more than happy to help you out, especially now that it has been quiet here on the forum.

Keep us posted and up to date on your thread. I am most interested to see how this turns out as I'm sure many others are.

Subscribin'. Interesting Read.

I like that you are trting something new MyTrac!

Grn,
"Thy shall Not Leaveth Thou Chariot Stocketh" Explorer 2nd Genesis
I love that! Thats awesome!

assisted induction

In my opinion, adding a typical centrifugal electric fan to your induction system will not significantly increase fuel economy or engine power. With regards to fuel economy the "assist" to air flow provided by the blower will be negated by the power required to operate the fan. The output of an electric fan rated at 500 cfm into a duct can be easily blocked by just placing a hand over the output. This is because the fan outlet pressure is only slightly greater than the fan inlet pressure. I think it is possible to increase engine power with an electric motor driven blower. See Electric supercharger . However, to get a significant increase in engine power a 10 horsepower or greater electric motor would be required to drive a centrifugal supercharger. The motor would require more than 600 amps of power for a 12 volt system.

So.... I would basically need to upgrade my battery and alternator to create the desired electricity needed..... And find a motor and fan that could supply enough air. I have no idea if I am on a wild goose chase at all. Just let me know if I am just being stupid and should abandon it. I am reading a lot about this stuff and I hope I can do it.

Oh, and I have my drawings ready for a cad design. Just need to put it into action. Any other suggestions?

CAD drawings?

The CAD drawings are not important if the basic concept is non-productive. I suggest that you spend more time learning about electric motors, blowers, their power requirements and efficiencies. Look at some boost charts to determine how much boost is required for a significant engine power increase. Then compare electrical power requirements to the capabilities of your stock electrical system. Also consider what electrical upgrades are needed to achieve a measurable boost and determine the weight, and possible locations in the engine compartment where added components might fit. After doing that I suspect that you will conclude (as I did) that the idea is impractical.

One thing I learned as an engineer is to spend significant time determining requirements, then progress to design. Only once detailed design is complete is purchase of components for implementation justified.

I like that you are trying new ideas, but.... you should abandon it.

You're talking about the "grey" area between N/A and Supercharged. With N/A the engine uses its own vacuum to pull fresh air into the cylinders. Superchargers provide the engine with air that is already compressed, ready to be compressed even more in the combustion chamber. You're talking about an electric fan to "help" the air along? Sorry but air (like water) will go where there is a void. I.E. the vacuum in the intake and then the combustion chambers. It doesn't need any "help" getting there, unless you go all the way and add enough "help" that it actually compresses the air. And then you need to be sure that it provides more energy than it takes to compress the air. You're fan idea will not do that.

If you're not goin to go with a supercharger (a real one) then just use your imagination and intelligence to come up with a way to reduce as much restriction to the air as possible, without it costing you any power. Free flowing intakes, air filters, etc. Even with a tiny hose and restrictive filter, the air WILL get to the engine (has to, vacuum ya know) its how hard it has to work to get there that you need to reduce, again without it costing any of the energy you're working so hard to obtain.

:/ I guess you guys are right! ah well this idea wont work out, but maybe my next one will! Thanks for all your input and hopefully you guys can help me again sometime soon!

:/ I guess you guys are right! ah well this idea wont work out, but maybe my next one will! Thanks for all your input and hopefully you guys can help me again sometime soon!

Never give up on your quest for more power and/or mpg! I'm on your side with this :thumbsup:

Back