• Register Today It's free!

CAI question

MyTrac

Reaction score
City, State
Utica, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Do I have to reprogram my engine if I get a CAI for my 2001 ford explorer sport trac? Or do I have to do anything else....? The only reason I ask is bc if there is an increase in airflow, then the MAF sensor is not calibrated for the increase in air flow; hence, making the engine run differently or run codes.....

just curious

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as far as I know the MAF will adjust by it self. If it gets more air = it adds more fuel... it does not need to be reset to know the proper air/fuel ratio, however I know some people have disconnected their battery to let it "re-learn" their driving style.

Thanks for the Reply!! Would it be beneficial for me to get a tuner? what is the best one for a lower price value?

SCT Xcal 3 is the most popular round here. and yes the big three mods on here tend to be exhaust, intake, tuner

SCT Xcal 3 is the most popular round here. and yes the big three mods on here tend to be exhaust, intake, tuner
Above suggestions for the Gen 1 ST without overspending.

1. Replace the stock muffler and resonator delete, nothing more.
2. Drop in filter of choice, remove air box silencer. (No drilling needed)
3. SCT tuner, the best upgrade by far, for improved shifting alone.

For street use, buy an upgraded rear sway bar with the money saved. (EE, Zabteck, etc.) :thumbsup:

Awesome!! Thanks for the advice!

the computer does not re learn anything. You will know this is correct if you had a wideband gauge. Your air/fuel ratio is off and only can be correct with a pcm update or tuner. :)

Also doesnt matter if you had a 10 inch intake or a 1 inch there is barely anything added to the engine because the throttle body is the same size and still only letting in the same amount of air as stock.

There is alot of threads on here explaining this.

If you COULD disconnect the battery and have the system relearn then why would you need a piggyback or power programmers.

Back