Calling all MY2021 MY2022 Explorer ST, Platinum, King Ranch and Aviators: rear subframe poll | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Calling all MY2021 MY2022 Explorer ST, Platinum, King Ranch and Aviators: rear subframe poll

Which rear subframe do you have?

• Total voters
If you are not on the recall but think you should be, fill out an NHTSA safety report. It's more than just getting the auto-E-brake, there may be a hardware fix later and the warranty coverage on the bolt failing gets extended.
Great advice and thank you.
I submitted a NHSTA safety report today. Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA
Here's the initial reply from NHSTA. I'll report back as new information is available.
--------------------------------
This email is to confirm we received your vehicle complaint submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Thank you for this public service as it is through actions like yours that together we can save lives on America's roadways.

Your tracking number assigned by NHTSA for this issue is xxxxxxxx. Please keep this number for your records and for future reference. Once your complaint has been processed, you will be able to view it online and find any related documents. Please allow two business days for NHTSA to review your complaint.

What happens next?
Your complaint will be reviewed by NHTSA technical staff and entered into our database. If any additional information is needed, a NHTSA investigator will contact you.
Every complaint is taken seriously, reviewed in detail and analyzed for defects trends. Your complaint is important because it helps to inform NHTSA, other vehicle owners and manufacturers about potential safety concerns. Such information helps save lives, and we encourage you to share the resources available at NHTSA.gov with your family, friends and others in your community.

Will my vehicle be recalled?
When a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a car or item of motor vehicle equipment creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that car or equipment. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.
If your vehicle is included in a recall, the manufacturer will contact you. Sign up to receive recall email alerts from NHTSA if there is ever a recall involving your vehicle, tire or child seat.
If you have any other questions regarding your complaint, please contact NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation:
  • Phone: 888-327-4236, Monday-Friday, 8:00AM to 8:00PM EST(Spanish-speaking representatives available)
    TTY: 888-424-9153
    (Please have your ODI number referenced above available.)
  • Email: Contact Us | NHTSA
    (Please indicate your ODI Number referenced above in the contact form.)
Thank you for contacting us and playing a critical role in helping to keep our roads safe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great advice and thank you.
I submitted a NHSTA safety report today. Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA
Here's the initial reply from NHSTA. I'll report back as new information is available.
--------------------------------
This email is to confirm we received your vehicle complaint submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Thank you for this public service as it is through actions like yours that together we can save lives on America's roadways.

Your tracking number assigned by NHTSA for this issue is xxxxxxxx. Please keep this number for your records and for future reference. Once your complaint has been processed, you will be able to view it online and find any related documents. Please allow two business days for NHTSA to review your complaint.

What happens next?
Your complaint will be reviewed by NHTSA technical staff and entered into our database. If any additional information is needed, a NHTSA investigator will contact you.
Every complaint is taken seriously, reviewed in detail and analyzed for defects trends. Your complaint is important because it helps to inform NHTSA, other vehicle owners and manufacturers about potential safety concerns. Such information helps save lives, and we encourage you to share the resources available at NHTSA.gov with your family, friends and others in your community.

Will my vehicle be recalled?
When a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a car or item of motor vehicle equipment creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that car or equipment. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.
If your vehicle is included in a recall, the manufacturer will contact you. Sign up to receive recall email alerts from NHTSA if there is ever a recall involving your vehicle, tire or child seat.
If you have any other questions regarding your complaint, please contact NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation:
  • Phone: 888-327-4236, Monday-Friday, 8:00AM to 8:00PM EST(Spanish-speaking representatives available)
    TTY: 888-424-9153
    (Please have your ODI number referenced above available.)
  • Email: Contact Us | NHTSA
    (Please indicate your ODI Number referenced above in the contact form.)
Thank you for contacting us and playing a critical role in helping to keep our roads safe.
UPDATE:
A federal representative from NHSTA called me to discuss this today and ask some additional questions. He indicated that from everything he read my vehicle should be included in the recall. He promised to get back to me within a week. More to follow.

Sep 26 2022 Announcing - Safety Recall 22S27 - Supplement #3

NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD - Safety Recall 22S27 - Supplement #3- Certain 2020-2022 Model Year Explorer Vehicles - Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

FSA Originating Hub: North America

- - 6/2/22 - PCM Calibration: ALL AVAILABLE as of 2-June-2022.

- - To check if non-police utility vehicles have the plant repair: shift the vehicle into park. If the parking brake engages automatically then NO updates are required for this program. Claim 22S27B to close the recall.

- - Police Utility Part Availability: The parts required to repair Explorer police units are available in limited quantity. Part ordering will be limited to vehicles that have a broken differential mounting bolt or unsold vehicles that have a signed buyer’s contract or purchase order.

Attachments

• Dealer Bulletin.pdf
    386.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Non-Police Owner Letter.pdf
    130.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Police Owner Letter.pdf
    153.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Recall Reimbursement.pdf
    35.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Mobile Repair Record.pdf
    108.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Attachment IV - Customer Handout.pdf
    126.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Technical Information – Bushing Replacement (Police Units Only).pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 237
  • Technical Information – PCM Reprogram.pdf
    52.6 KB · Views: 96

SSM 51098 2021-2022 Explorer - Timberline - Differential - Noise, Odor, And/Or Leak From The Rear Of Vehicle - Rear Axle Differential Venting Fluid
Some 2021-2022 Explorer - Timberline - vehicles may exhibit a rear differential that is venting rear axle fluid. This may result in a noise, odor, or leak noticed by the customer. Inspect the rear of the vehicle for signs of rear differential fluid venting into the rear wheel well, or leaking from the rear differential. If signs of fluid leaks are found from any seals, repair as necessary per Workshop Manual Section 205-02. If no seal leaks are found but fluid is venting, drain the rear differential. Add 85-100 ml of Motorcraft® XL-3 Additive Friction Modifier. Refill with fresh rear differential fluid to bottom of fill plug. Remove the vent tube and use compressed air to verify that the fluid vent tube is clear, then reinstall tube. Engineering investigating, monitor OASIS for updates.

UPDATE:
A federal representative from NHSTA called me to discuss this today and ask some additional questions. He indicated that from everything he read my vehicle should be included in the recall. He promised to get back to me within a week. More to follow.
Latest update on my 2021 Platinum built during the affected time period - Ford and NHSTA - it is not covered by the safety recall or customer satisfaction program

1664719691233.png

Nor is my King Ranch but we are the 365 HP versions vs the 400 HP versions (sadly in my case) so maybe that's the threshold?

I just purchased my 2022 Platinum and it has 1 bolt, no rear deflector. And my rear differential is leaking oil. Not a good sign for reliability as she has only 1,000 miles.

2022 ST 4WD w/tow package built May-2022. 1-Bolt.

2021 3.3 AWD Limited Hybrid

View attachment 435517
Thanks for posting this.
Ford's criteria is perplexing. My Platinum w/tow pkg remains unaffected by the recall or customer satisfaction program.
Perhaps me being an old guy, they figure I always drive like one......NOT!

Thanks for posting this.
Ford's criteria is perplexing. My Platinum w/tow pkg remains unaffected by the recall or customer satisfaction program.
Perhaps me being an old guy, they figure I always drive like one......NOT!
I still am not sure which Explorers need the updates. We have a 2021 XLT with the 2.3l twin turbo engine and it does not have the auto parking brake application mod and is not on the recall list.

I still am not sure which Explorers need the updates. We have a 2021 XLT with the 2.3l twin turbo engine and it does not have the auto parking brake application mod and is not on the recall list.
I'm laughing to myself thinking of the very old candy bar commercial - Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut, Sometimes You Don't
Perhaps that's how the vehicles built in the affected time period received either Breakable Bolts or Nonbreakable Bolts
When you watch this fill in your own phrase for the Bolt Fracture recall

Because...... sometimes you get the recall, sometimes you don't

Just worked on a 22 3.0 PIU, only 1 rear bolt

2022 ST PHEV built from 26th march till 13th of april. (Literally says this on the ford dealer info net) and to my dismay, only 1 bolt.

Which i really don't understand as the phev has more hp (457) and a LOT more torque (825nm/610lbft!!) Add to that the extra weight of the electric motor and battery pack... which add 400kg/880lbs... guess i know what the dealer will have to fix at some point in the future 🙈

Hey, has anyone looked into an upgraded stronger tensile strength bolt to replace it with?

Just got my Explorer ST back from the dealer on Tuesday after the axle bolt broke. It was in since the end of October waiting on parts that were on back order nationwide.

I had ordered the ID Speed axle brace on black Friday since that brace is so damn expensive. Had it installed today for extra security for the bolt and the mechanic said he loosened the bolt to make room to get another one in on the brace and the axle bolt seemed bent already. It was only installed for two days. I haven't brake boosted/power braked it since I got it back. I've only done a few quick take offs with just stomping the gas so it shouldn't of taken that much abuse in the 2 days I've had it. Definitely shouldn't be bent already. Ford doesn't have the parts readily available to fix it so if it happens again it could be months especially if more people are breaking now.

If anyone knows a specific part number to a stronger bolt or provide a link to order one if anyone has looked into it yet please post it. Thanks

Hey, has anyone looked into an upgraded stronger tensile strength bolt to replace it with?

Just got my Explorer ST back from the dealer on Tuesday after the axle bolt broke. It was in since the end of October waiting on parts that were on back order nationwide.

I had ordered the ID Speed axle brace on black Friday since that brace is so damn expensive. Had it installed today for extra security for the bolt and the mechanic said he loosened the bolt to make room to get another one in on the brace and the axle bolt seemed bent already. It was only installed for two days. I haven't brake boosted/power braked it since I got it back. I've only done a few quick take offs with just stomping the gas so it shouldn't of taken that much abuse in the 2 days I've had it. Definitely shouldn't be bent already. Ford doesn't have the parts readily available to fix it so if it happens again it could be months especially if more people are breaking now.

If anyone knows a specific part number to a stronger bolt or provide a link to order one if anyone has looked into it yet please post it. Thanks
Did he remove the bolt to see if it was bent? If not it could be some other reason.

Said he loosened it enough that as he was turning it he could tell it was bent. Didn't wanna take it all the way out and not be able to get it back in. Not sure if I should bring it back to Ford again or just buy a stronger bolt and put it in.

Said he loosened it enough that as he was turning it he could tell it was bent. Didn't wanna take it all the way out and not be able to get it back in. Not sure if I should bring it back to Ford again or just buy a stronger bolt and put it in.
I would go back to Ford and see what they say. The chance of finding a stronger bolt are pretty slim. Plus that may not help.

The ID Speed diff brace uses new bolts on the axle cover and the tensile strength is supposed to be greater making for a much stronger bolt. They advertise the bolts used in the whole kit are a stronger metal so there's a good chance that a bolt with same length and threads could be used on something else completely and be a stronger metal and be used on the axle. Or maybe an aftermarket company could make one as I'm sure many people would buy them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I went into Ford today and the tech said it's definitely bent. He said Ford claims it's an upgraded bolt that they use in place of the old one on the recall. They ordered another one as they don't have any. So now I wait and drive easy on it so it doesn't break again.

I wonder how many of you are driving with it bent already and just don't know. If you always drive easy I'm sure it's fine but for the people who drive aggressively and launch it off the line quickly I bet a bunch are bent at the minimum. If anyone can check do so that way Ford can fix it before it becomes a problem and maybe notify the NHSTA. That way Ford an implement a proper fix so we don't have this issue anymore.

The way the mechanic noticed without taking out the bolt fully was as he was loosening it he could see the bolt going up and down inside the grommet.

Back