• Register Today It's free!

Cam positioning sensor

Frankkube

Reaction score
City, State
W.Caldwell,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer
Hi All- 94 Eddie Bauer (166k) at the dealer right now with a check engine light. Only symptom is that off the line, there is a slight hesitation upon acceleration.

Dealer tells me that it is the cam positioning sensor and the charge to repair with labor is $895.00. We've all had our dealer issues so I am just trying to verify that this all makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

Frank

First thing to do is find out what code the PCM is throwing out. A slight hesitation on acceleration doesn't sound like the cam sensor, sounds more like a possible dirty MAF, possible sticking IAC or even a failing TPS. The cam sensor is only used to sync the injector pulse, and if all you have is a slight hesitation from a stop, then I say the dealer is trying to screw you, and all they may do is clean your MAF/IAC...etc...and take you for a $900 ride...

Like I suggested, ask them what the code was coming up, better yet, pull the code yourself/find someone who can do it, and then we can see what's really going on.

If i'm assuming correctly, the truck runs fine other than the slight hesitation?
If so, then I HIGHLY doubt the cam sens. is bad.

I will do that, but would you know what the symptoms would be if it actually was the Cam Sensor?

Back