• Register Today It's free!

cam swap in a 99 explorer

zebs

Reaction score
City, State
ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer
i'm putting a e-cam in my 99 explorer. is the lifter has plastic retaners they are thin but tall. i was wanting to no if any body has had problems with them. i dont no if they will hold up. or if the cam has to much lobe for them. my buddy has a set for a mustang he said i could have..... thanks zeb

E-Cam

I put an e-cam in my '99 5.0 and was using the stock retainers. Then I read copious posts on what a crapstick that cam is, especially for an Explorer, so I ended up using a Comp 35-512-8. My understanding is the E303 an outdated cam intended for midrange and upper end power...not good for pulling an Ex off the line. In any case, I think the stock lifter retainers are adequate.

All the letter cams are junk as far as I'm concerned. They're terribly oudated designs. Ask around on any of the mustang forums, you'll see what i'm talknig about. As to the retainers, I don't see how extra cam lift could make them fail.

I don't have to ask anyone, or read about it.
I run an x-cam and love it. Reliability, and power baby. Forget the hear say. There is nothing wrong with Ford Letter Cams.

Anyway, that isn't the point of this thread. He asked about lifter guides, not cam opinions.

The nylon guides make me nervous also. My truck has billet one piece guides, however I cannot tell you where to find them.
attachment.php

I wish I could. They came from Coast High Perf but they no longer sell them.

The FMS roller cam upgrade kit, or, the metal mustang guides you mention would be better IMO
Be sure to use the spider spring which comes with the guides you choose.

Back