Camshaft synch squeak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft synch squeak

Are you sure that the cam sync is what's making the noise? Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? When I was looking for my chirp/squeak, as soon as I put the probe on the cam sync housing it was very obvious that's what was making the noise. If you don't have a stethoscope, a long screw driver, handle pressed to your ear also works. BTW, at a suggestion I got here (from Turdle IIRC) was to put a couple of drops of ATF around the inner rotating part of the synchronizer. I'd hoped that would buy me a month or two until the outside temps was more conducive to changing the synchronizer. That as a year ago and it's still quite.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll have to use the screwdriver method tomorrow after work and let you guys know where this sound is coming from or at least the area of it

Who is the manufacturer of those two cam synchronizers?

That clearance between the gear bottom surface and the block is critical. From the apparent metal debris showing on that bottom gear surface, I agree that it's going in too deep. The gear should not touch the block there.

I like that 4.045" actual measurement given by shucker1, thanks. I'll try to find mine and measure, I have a couple of new and used OEM units.

The old one is a dorman and the new one is the auto zone brand. I noticed that the shaft the gear is on could be slid up and down a noticeable bit

So I listened to my engine while it was squeaking today with a screwdriver up to my ear and everything sounds fine, I listened to the camshaft sync, power steering pump, a/c compressor, alternator, headers on driver side, top of the intake manifold, the valve covers, and even the headers. The only thing I could find wrong was one of the bolts on my headers had fallen out and the gasket didn't look so healthy.
Do you guys think that the one bolt on my header and that gasket is enough to make a squeaking and low pitched click sound?
I'm gonna throw in a new gasket and bolt this afternoon to see if that fixes anything.
I am now getting a p1309 code but my engine is running fine.

Back