• Register Today It's free!

camshaft synchronizer

beardy

Reaction score
City, State
apopka
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 limited
hi, i have a 93 explorer 4.0 non california, non egr engine vin x in the top middle back of the motor, there is a thing called a camshaft synchronizer. my problem is that the one in my 4.0 is not electric, it has no wires or connector on it. however when i pull it out ,it does have a gear kind of like a distributer on it. my question is does this thing have to be set in a certain way when installed? i can't even find one in the parts stores they all have wires and a connector on them. you tube shows nothing on a non electric one. hope someone knows what this is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We know a bit about these things here

in 1994-2001 the 4.0 had the cam synchronizer.
In 90-93 there was no cam synchronizer
In late 93 California emissions trucks do have the synchronizer

The 1990-93 engines there is still the shaft that drives the oil pump off of the camshaft.... Without this device the oil pump will not run

If your truck has no cam synchronizer and the new engine has one you have two choices:
Remove the cam synchro and install your oil pump drive
Or leave the cam synchro in place to drive the oil pump and just do not hook it up to anything.

hope this clears things up

We know a bit about these things here

in 1994-2001 the 4.0 had the cam synchronizer.
In 90-93 there was no cam synchronizer
In late 93 California emissions trucks do have the synchronizer

The 1990-93 engines there is still the shaft that drives the oil pump off of the camshaft.... Without this device the oil pump will not run

If your truck has no cam synchronizer and the new engine has one you have two choices:
Remove the cam synchro and install your oil pump drive
Or leave the cam synchro in place to drive the oil pump and just do not hook it up to anything.

hope this clears things upd
yes thank you very much. i thought the gear on it did something. i'm in the process of buying a longblock for this explorer. do i have to get a 93 4,0 or will any block work with this wireless cam sensor? thank's again, ive been all over trying to get info on this thing.

Its not a cam sensor since there is no sensor on it, we should call it the oil pump drive, because that is what it does uses a gear driven off the camshaft to drive the oil pump

I would stick with a new long block designed to go into your 93, should be fine and will not come with a cam sensor, if it does you can install your oil pump drive or just leave the new cam sensor inert

If I was looking for a junk yard replacement engine I would use a 98-00 OHV long block...they were much upgraded after 95 and again in 97... the 98-00 block uses a 8 bolt crank so you may need a 8 bolt flexplate to bolt up to your 94 limited auto trans....if you go that route

Its not a cam sensor since there is no sensor on it, we should call it the oil pump drive, because that is what it does uses a gear driven off the camshaft to drive the oil pump

I would stick with a new long block designed to go into your 93, should be fine and will not come with a cam sensor, if it does you can install your oil pump drive or just leave the new cam sensor inert

If I was looking for a junk yard replacement engine I would use a 98-00 OHV long block...they were much upgraded after 95 and again in 97... the 98-00 block uses a 8 bolt crank so you may need a 8 bolt flexplate to bolt up to your 94 limited auto trans....if you go that route
yes, i have the engine out now, and can see how it runs the oil pump. i'm looking to buy a jasper rebuilt engine, i trust they will give me the correct motor. thank's again.

Back