Ca'n get my 97 Mountaineer to unlock! Battery is Dead! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ca'n get my 97 Mountaineer to unlock! Battery is Dead!

stonerboys

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
Hey guys I have a 97 Mercury mountaineer that I cannot get in! I let it sit a couple months with the doors locked and the battery is dead! I can't get the hood open on it to charge the battery since I can't get in it to release it! What I want to know is how can I get the hood open without breaking the latch or latch cable? Is there some kind of emergency release somewhere? Also, my key won't open any of the doors or hatch so I have no way of getting into it! Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if you've got in but I've been thinking about it. The only thing I can come up with is a locksmith or a tow truck. Both have "slim jims" they insert next to the window glass and use to trip the lock mechanism inside the door.

I couldn't find any info anywhere about an emergency release. Actually, I doubt there'll be one as it would make it too easy for car thieves to bypass the alarm system.

Do you only have one key? I'm surprised it won't open any of the doors unless it's a replacement key supplied with a replacement ignition switch at some point?

usually if a vehicle is repo'd at some point they will only rekey the ignition if it has a keyless entry system. Saves money.

I'd call AAA if you have them and they'll come with a slim jim.

My key is turning the lock even without power.

search for hood release broken as there have been posts on how to open the hood when that happens. from there, hopefully a new battery will get you the rest of the way.

From a post by deweyville.

Top opening of grill to left of center. Right side when looking at front. Look at top of hood latch. You may need a flashlight. There is a small slot at the front top. Using a long flat screwdriver, reach into the slot and pry to the left . The hood should come open. If it does not open, you are SOL as far as I can tell. Get a buddy to push down/ pull up on hood at the same time. Be careful, as you can dent tbe hood when pushing down.

Back