Can i get more than 2" out of a TT/Shackes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can i get more than 2" out of a TT/Shackes?

cantspell

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
Hi, i have a quick question, is there any way to get more than 1.5-2" of lift from a TT/shackels? So could i for instance, just twist the torsion bars more and use the shackels AND an add-a-leaf to get say 3.5". Or can i use different coils or something? IVe' heard that a body lift and cna difficult and I don't think i'll be donig any hard wheeling..

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a 2WD you could probably go much higer than 2" with the TT. I know someone on here has pics of an Explorer with 4 or 5". The problem is the CV angle you create my cranking the torsion bars (on 4WDs). Thats why everyone recommends only going 2" tops. But yeah, if you're a 2wd guy, you could crank them to 3-3.5" and get aals too.. and I think you'd be okay.

I have a 98 XLT 4wd? I'm aware of the limitations of a CV joint - but do you think i could mabe even get 3" out of it? I'm really only looking to fit 32"s on at some time, and I don't see my self doing any heavy off-roading, so i know i've seen some people with 32"s on with only 2", but I figured maybe a little more would be nice?

Check out Lizardtrac's truck. He started with a mild tt, and before the solid axle conversion, he was running 35's with a tt and SOA on the rear with just a little trimming.

I put 32" metric equivalents on my '97 with no lift. The only rubbing was on my swaybar at full lock (which will happen regardless of how much lift you have) and on the plastic at the top of the front wheel wells when the suspension bottomed out. Do a search for "Largest tires that will fit on a '97" for more information and pictures.

OK, so how much would the shackles and an add-a-lead yield, maybe 3" And can i get even 2.5 out of my TT safely. I have to admit, i also want a littlely bigger truck, well higher truck. So i was thinking I have 29"s now, if i get 3" out of a lift, and then 33", that's a total of 5" higher - which is what i'd lile to get.

yeah i think lizardtrac had about 3" of lift out of his torsion bars but he is a maniac. :D im pretty sure his outer CVs are pretty much done.

I don't see my self doing any heavy off-roading,
If that is the case, I would do 2" TT, Shackles and Single AAL with a PA Body Lift. With this combo, you could prolly do 33s and not hurt your CVs like you would with a 2"+ TT.

Robb

Ive got about 1.5" out of my torsion bars right now. Im thinking of going to the scrap yard and picking up as many explorer CVs that i can find and just holding on to them. I have a sneaky feeling once my 33s are worn out im gonna be squeezing on some 35s. :D

Hmm, at what level of body lift do you have to start extending the steering, etc...i really don't want that. I've deciede that what I think I"ll do go ahead with a TT/shackels and AAL if necessary, and then squeeze on some 33's by the spring, i dont mind doing some trimming - as is usual, cost is a factor, as is daily driveability...so i figure the fewer things I have to mess with (a body lift for example) the better it is.

Good luck. But you will never fit a 33x12.50 with just a TT and shackles unless you literally saw your fenders totally up.

A 33x11.50 or 10.50 would work if your T-bars were totally maxed out.

jason... dont forget about alec!

I didn't forget about him. He has fiberglass front fenders and judging from the latest run they went on, the 33x12.50's rubbed so bad in the rear that the tire couldn't turn.

So still, I will say that you will not be able to clear a 33x12.50.

I beleive alec said on his last run his tires where rubbing so bad that he was actually getting stuck due to it.

Back