Can I put an EcoBoost in my 2011 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats up guys my name is Jose and i have a little concern. I have a Ford Explorer 2011 XLT, I want to make more hp out of it, and I am thinking to replace the engine for a 3.5L turbocharged of the same gen but Ford Explorer sport.. is it worth it? Or is it posible ?

Anything is possible if only you replace and fabricate enough, but it's a lot of work and that work starts with researching the existing topics.

Generally speaking, it is not worth it on a middling-age vehicle when the same general model (*Explorers*) with the engine you want, already exists (so you can sell what you have and buy that instead), AND, unless you have already done extensive suspension mods, the Sport suspension should be better tuned for the higher HP engine. XLT is not firm riding new but now bound to be a bit softer with a decade of age unless you swap even more parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An X plan pin number allows you to buy a new ford product at a price just a little over invoice.Also they can't charge you dealer prep either. If you go to a dealer with a pin number the first thing you do is tell them you have a pin number and then you pick one out of inventory or order one. You also get all rebates that are in affect on the day you take delivery. I have to give you the number.
I would love it if i could get a pin. My unkle was a 30 year master tech for ford and i lost him unexpectedly last year! I own my own shop and specialize in fords. He always bought everything for me for my personal vehicles and saved me thousands and i really miss him and wish he were here to get the same deals i used to get. Every car and truck we own is ford and same with 90% of the family. thanks jay my email is jayhattaway83@gmail.com

I would love it if i could get a pin. My unkle was a 30 year master tech for ford and i lost him unexpectedly last year! I own my own shop and specialize in fords. He always bought everything for me for my personal vehicles and saved me thousands and i really miss him and wish he were here to get the same deals i used to get. Every car and truck we own is ford and same with 90% of the family. thanks jay my email is jayhattaway83@gmail.com
Welcome to the Forum Jay. :wave:

Peter

my email is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You might want to remove your email address from your post before spambots find it. People can PM you here for contact.

The later model engines can be swapped into older same chassis vehicles, but it would require most of the newer engine bay parts, and more. The transmissions changed a lot from 2011 to 2012+ models, the six speeds cannot be swapped unless the computer is swap to match that.

The late teens Ford engines got upgraded GDI systems, in 2017 and 2018+, to hopefully improve the GDI issue of intake valve coking. If you consider a swap like that, try for the newest GDI versions if possible. There are many possible issues with lots of Ford models over the last decade or so, the internal water pumps being the biggest(massive) problem.

I'm hoping that others will soon begin making those swaps real, the age of these Fords is just about right to make them feasible. As the cars age, the value drops and people won't modify them like this kind of major project. When they are newer, all of the costs are higher, the newer parts, and the value of the old discarded parts. I think this near 10 year old age is a good spot for upgrading used vehicles. The late model used engines are growing in salvage yards, and their prices are dropping. In 10 years from now, those will be harder to find, with more mileage on them, and the gain for an older vehicle will drop a ton. I'm pondering how one of those might fit into an even older Ford.

Back