Can I put an EcoBoost in my 2011 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ShellieLatham

Reaction score
City, State
Elk City, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT AWD
I have a 2011 Explorer XLT AWD with about 135k miles on it. We made a trip, tried I should clarify, and got about 900 miles from home and the water pump went out causing "catastrophic engine failure." Apparently when the water pump went out it flooded the engine with water/coolant? The car never over heated. We pulled over the second we felt the issue. It was towed to a Meineke (big mistake) and they started it and drove it into their shop where they let it run until the car "locked up." It was then towed to a different mechanic shop where the guy opened the oil cap and said the motor was blown and then got irritated that we didn't want to drop a could thousand on a motor right then. We brought it home and my brother messed with it and got it turning again, obviously it's not fixed and running, he was getting conflicting info from the shops that looked at it when he called and he didn't feel like the motor was legitimately "locked up." We don't know if the battery was dead and that is why it wouldn't start again after it was driven into the first shop. When we were unloading it we had to hook it up to some jumper cables to turn the ignition on and get the car into neutral. At this point we think that the water pump needs to be replaced and the timing chain. He suggested going ahead and putting a new motor in it so we don't have more problems down the road.

So, why I'm here...

My car has the 3.5L Cyclone V6 with no oil cooler (8th digit is an 8). That motor is in the 2011-2018 models. According to our local Ford Dealer (who wants $7400 to replace the motor) the only years that will fit mine are the 2011-2012. He said that they made some change that he doesn't know what is, he can only see that the part number is different and that means they changed something in 2013. Does anyone know what changes were made? Are they minor adjustments to the 2013 and up engines that I could still buy one of those and make some minor adjustments and use the new year model engine?

My other question... it was suggested to see if I could put one of the EcoBoost engines in my car to replace the bad motor that is in it currently. Does anyone know if that is possible? Can I switch it out with an EcoBoost motor with some reasonable modifications?

Sorry for the lengthy post. I just wanted to get all the info in here to get the best information in return. Thank-Shellie.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Shellie.:wave:
I guess you have seen this thread; Water pump failure leads to dead engine
A new engine is listed at just over $3500. The one with a cooler is less. You have to figure in tax and labour. The price quoted by the dealer seems to fall in line with other quotes in the thread I linked. I don't know if there have been other parts that have been replaced but with 135k miles I'm guessing some will have to be replaced soon. I don't have the answer to the Ecoboost question but I'd think that it may not be possible especially if the only engine that is recommended is the 2011 or 2012. The 2013 Sport was the first Explorer to have the Ecoboost motor. I'm sure there will others who might be able to provide a more definite answer. Sorry to hear about the issue and good luck.

Peter

Bummer. That’s a heck of a repair.

It does look like there was a change to the 3.5L for subsequent model years, at least according to what I was able to find. The fact that Ford lists a different version of the engine on their parts website suggests putting a newer model engine isn’t just a drop in replacement, so presumably something changed...but I’m struggling to find anything documenting the changes.

Upgrading to the EcoBoost, while theoretically possible since it fits inside the engine compartment, would likely end up being more expensive than just replacing the original engine, as it uses a lot of different supporting parts that would also need to be changed and/or reprogrammed, especially since your model year didn’t include the option.

Odds are, if the engine mounts are the same, and the transmission is the same, you can put a 13+ or Ecoboost engine in it, but you'll also require a new module(s) for engine control. You might be able to find them used, or refurbished. You might also just look for a lower mileage used engine, and change the water pump before install.

Swap to turbo= no, pretty sure you would need a new harness and modules and programming.
Unless you remove the camshafts and inspect crankshaft bearings, theres no way to tell how much damage is done, usually if it seized =bad
To save a few bucks put a used engine in with new water pump and chain at a non Ford shop
Could cut your losses and trade it in as is hinting they can install used engine etc at cheaper rate than retail<------ what I would try

The best you can probably do is put a 3.7L in it since it’s the same block with the only difference is bore size. An Ecoboost would be too much work to put in probably. Especially because you need intercoolers, different intake, and all that jazz.

Thanks for all the input! So helpful. I think I am just going to put the 11/12 motor in it and forget about the rest. I just needed to know if it was even a relevant possibility.

I have been looking on eBay in the LKQ Salvage store and they have good prices so I think that it the route I will take. I'm confused by one thing tho. If I find a motor that, by all accounts, fits but is from the 2012 when you use their "compatibility checker" if it's not a 2011 Explorer donor car it says it will not fit. The motor I need was in the Explorer, Flex, Edge and Taurus, from what I can tell.

So, hypothetically, would a motor from a 2012 Explorer still fit? If the "donor car" was a 2011 Flex shouldn't the motor still fit?

I really just have one shot to get this right. I'm not made of money!

Fit and run without modification are two different things.

You can probably shove any year Cyclone in there, and almost certain force one from a Taurus or Flex in there, but you’ll probably have to replace a ton of other parts. You may even run into control incompatibilities on the transmisson front, if the donor vehicle has 6F55 and you’ve got the 6F50, for example. Heck, they also used the 3.5 cyclone in the Fusion and Edge, and even though those applications also may have used different transmissions (even an Aisin at one point), you could probably shove one of them into an Explorer with enough work unless the bell housing is different, but it’s a lot of extra effort. And sometimes it’s annoying little changes...I’ll never forget watching someone struggle swapping in a donor transmisson on an 80s RamCharger because Dodge moved a part on the transmission case about an inch between model years, requiring some creative parts swapping.

For the lowest cost and easiest install, you want that compatibility checker to match. With a vehicle this young, finding a replacement engine that is the correct engine shouldn’t be impossible.

jo7hs2 so I take it you would recommend using one from a donor of the same year/model? I can find a few engines but wanted to avoid something with close to 100k on it if possible.

Ugh why can't I just use an engine from a different model :( I can't find 100 motors for the Edge with really low mileage on it for a great price. This whole situation sucks!

jo7hs2 so I take it you would recommend using one from a donor of the same year/model? I can find a few engines but wanted to avoid something with close to 100k on it if possible.

Absolutely.

While the Edge is using the same *engine*, it isn’t a 100% drop in. You’d have to find someone who has attempted to swap engines or who does rebuilds on Cyclones to tell you how much extra work it would be, but I’m certain it will be even more work than the Flex, which at least uses the same platform. The Edge is on a different platform, so there may be differences in mounts, etc... Ford sells a lot of Edges, that’s probably why you are seeing so many. Finding a Flex is less likely than the Explorer, as the Explorer is much more common, too.

Makes sense! Most of the engines I am finding for the Explorer are never under 90k. I am finding a limited number of Explorer engines, period. Certainly nothing local so I have to pay a couple hundred in shipping.

I, genuinely, appreciate your help. Everyone's help. When I called the local Ford Dealership they couldn't answer any questions, all they knew was "the part numbers are different."

I just haven't called them yet. My brother suggested them, too.

"unfortunately we don't work on the 3.5's at this time"-Jasper Sales

OK
ShellieLatha I m retired Ford,so if you want I can give you an X plan pin number. Just let me know. It only takes a few minutes.

Where do I locate that number and I will happily share it with you?
An X plan pin number allows you to buy a new ford product at a price just a little over invoice.Also they can't charge you dealer prep either. If you go to a dealer with a pin number the first thing you do is tell them you have a pin number and then you pick one out of inventory or order one. You also get all rebates that are in affect on the day you take delivery. I have to give you the number.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An X plan pin number allows you to buy a new ford product at a price just a little over invoice.Also they can't charge you dealer prep either. If you go to a dealer with a pin number the first thing you do is tell them you have a pin number and then you pick one out of inventory or order one. You also get all rebates that are in affect on the day you take delivery. I have to give you the number.

Oh, ok. I understand! I'm assuming that it would cut down the $5112 I was quoted for the engine from the Ford Dealership. Can I purchase the motor from them and have it installed elsewhere? Our dealership charges $115/hr for labor and they estimate 20 hours of labor. I have a quote from another mechanic shop for $70/hour in labor.

Back