Can I put the body panels of a 1st gen on the front of my second gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I put the body panels of a 1st gen on the front of my second gen?

Vademastwe

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsboro, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer
my hood and fenders are all messed up and dented on my 98 explorer but the rest is all good and I have a wrecked 92 that has a good front end on it. So I was wondering if I could put the fenders and hood and grill of the 1st gen on the second gen?

I have 2nd gen fenders on my 1st gen. They do not line up properly with the doors. The fender support structure is different on the 2nd gen.

I had an entire 2nd gen swap kit with fiberglass fenders and hood. The fenders had 4" flares and I couldn't see the tire when I was rock crawling so I bought a set of 2nd gen steel fenders, stock replacements. That is when I realized they had taken the changes into consideration when they built the fiberglass fenders.

pumpkin_cover.jpg
pumpkin_door.jpg

The lower shot shows the misalignment issue with the steel fender. The hood is also lower than the edges of the fenders.

That is a sexy Explorer!

I would just go find some gen ii body parts probably in the same color (paint code) as your 98

A hood and two fenders can be had in about 30 minutes and that’s only because the fenders have one stupid
10mm that goes into the header panel
. Junk yard or private seller would likely be $100 for those parts

Or

Fix up the 92! They are tanks and the ttb is better

Back