Can i run colder small gap plugs on stock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can i run colder small gap plugs on stock

justincsinger

Reaction score
City, State
Post Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 explorer sport
I have a 16 explorer sport. I just purchased a livernois intake, sp542 plugs I'll gap at .30, 160° evenflo thermostat. Can I install and run these without a tune? I would like ro do a 3 bar and a tune. I am new to all this. Help.

I haven't looked at the plugs you're referencing but you can safely run one range colder than the stock plugs with the stock tune. I am currently running the Bosch Double Iridium Spark Plug 9697. I was surprised to see the condition of the stock plugs at only 32K mi, I now have 6K on these. I wouldn't recommend a tune myself because the PTUs can barely handle the stress of the stock tune. Even then, they don't last long if driven hard and are very costly to replace.

I haven't looked at the plugs you're referencing but you can safely run one range colder than the stock plugs with the stock tune. I am currently running the Bosch Double Iridium Spark Plug 9697. I was surprised to see the condition of the stock plugs at only 32K mi, I now have 6K on these. I wouldn't recommend a tune myself because the PTUs can barely handle the stress of the stock tune. Even then, they don't last long if driven hard and are very costly to replace.
So not even like a 93octane tune? You mean stock tune equipmented from factory? Thanks again for all the info.

I have a 16 explorer sport. I just purchased a livernois intake, sp542 plugs I'll gap at .30, 160° evenflo thermostat. Can I install and run these without a tune? I would like ro do a 3 bar and a tune. I am new to all this. Help.
i'm loving my gearhead AO tune. GH uses a 3 bar map sensor. Been using it for over a year. I would recommend them and trying to find downpipes with high flow cats as well. i don't recommend getting an octane specific tune. i had issues with a tuner when i tried that for a month.

Back