2016 Sport misfire issues after mods installed | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport misfire issues after mods installed

We have never nor will ever shy away from assisting. We are convinced that since all of the aforementioned troubleshooting did not fix nor find an issue that there is a mechanical failure somewhere. Since we cannot see the vehicle we cannot arrow down the search. This is not an issue that any one of the test, BETA or client vehicles have experienced. We test and develop plenty of things for the OEM's, and this is a first for everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for coming on here and trying to clear things up. Yes, I am definitely no expert on the new stuff. I am just tuning a 93 Mustang with an aftermarket supercharger and it is definitely a different world.

I did not blame the tune because it did not datalog. I am also not saying that it is the tune, but datalogging with the tune in there is what needs to happen to be able to figure out what the problem is. At least it won't hurt if the person looking at the data knows what to log and how to interpret it. If you could set up the parameters you needed to see and he could log that and send it to you guys, don't you think that would greatly help you diagnose his problem?

I do not know how many trouble codes can be sent in the new computers. Are you saying that if the fuel rail pressure drops enough to make it unable to support the requirements of your extra boost that a trouble code will come up? That is great if it does, but what if the sensor for the fuel pressure is what is bad and it is reading a little high which causes it to turn down the pump's dutycycle?
Are you saying that you can't use measured AFR at the tail pipe to indicate if the car is lean or rich? You may not tune by that, but if you are at WOT using normal unleaded fuel and it is over 13:1 AFR at high loads, isn't it way too lean. If it is reading 10:1 then I wouldn't you say it is dumping in too much fuel. Then can't you start investigating what sensors or mechanical issues could cause the problem you are seeing? Can't you use it for something gross like this? If some sensor or injector or fuel pump was not working properly, are the limits for the trouble codes in the computer tight enough to find this and will always throw a code? Can something that is good enough with the stock settings and is on the edge of the limit actually pass the computer's self test but not work well enough when the aggressive tune is added?

I am very curious as to what is going on and trying to help this guy out that just spent a ton of money on this car. Seems strange that 5 gallons of that fuel mixed with 9 gallons of 93 unleaded would cause all of those parts to need to be swapped out. Is this leaded fuel? What the hell is in it that can damage all these parts? I thought he said that he loaded these new tunes at the same time that he put the fuel in?

Anyway, if the fuel caused it then there should be a set of parts that it could screw up. Does the computer use the 02's feedback at all in these cars to adjust the fuel map? Could the fuel have screwed up the pump?

Thanks for the info. Sorry if I am too naive of these new systems and my ignorance is pissing you off. Please educate us and then I won't have so many questions when I finally buy one of these and need to order a tune from you. It looks like ours is coming in next week!!

Also for the record there have been updated tunes awaiting download on our tuning server since 10/09.

Thank you for the updates. I downloaded them when I got home but it did not eliminate my issue. Ive emailed someone from your company asking for advice on the next step moving forward. Hoping to hear back from them soon.
Have a great Thanksgiving!

I think you should return your truck to 100% stock and trade it in on a new one with a different color. Tell the dealer you or your wife doesn't like the color? You may loose some money by but you have so many thousands in parts and it sounds like you like XSport and you still want to add mods in the future.
Break in the new motor and give LMS time to work out any bugs they may have with the new model truck tunes. When your ready start adding your parts and one at a time and make sure everything is working right. Sounds like the diagnostics are never going to end and you need to hit the reset button now instead of waiting. Your dealer will work with you and now that it is winter people are buying SUV's and 4x4 this time of year. Livernois will work with you and maybe take your tuner in as a trade or even swap since you have been a great customer.
I love my truck, and my tune, thermostat and CAI have performed flawless. I haven't changed my plugs yet and don't think I need to?
Good luck and keep us posted. I have Tuxedo black but would not mind a gun metal gray one, just saying!

I think you should return your truck to 100% stock and trade it in on a new one with a different color. Tell the dealer you or your wife doesn't like the color? You may loose some money by but you have so many thousands in parts and it sounds like you like XSport and you still want to add mods in the future.
Break in the new motor and give LMS time to work out any bugs they may have with the new model truck tunes. When your ready start adding your parts and one at a time and make sure everything is working right. Sounds like the diagnostics are never going to end and you need to hit the reset button now instead of waiting. Your dealer will work with you and now that it is winter people are buying SUV's and 4x4 this time of year. Livernois will work with you and maybe take your tuner in as a trade or even swap since you have been a great customer.
I love my truck, and my tune, thermostat and CAI have performed flawless. I haven't changed my plugs yet and don't think I need to?
Good luck and keep us posted. I have Tuxedo black but would not mind a gun metal gray one, just saying!

Ive already put my Explorer back to stock and began selling off all the performance parts. With all the suggestions and diagnostics i decided to bring it to my GM tuner who has done all the work on my LS3 Corvette and 09 Cadillac CTSV. Although he does not tune fords he did attach a sensor onto the exhaust and listened to the engine while it was breaking down. He said it was clear the the tune was the issue and has been all along. The enging was lean popping due to lack of fuel. He agreed that since I had changed the plugs and the fuel injectors and drained the gas tank completely and flushed the entire system that there was no way possible that any fuel that I had put in in the past could cause any of my current conditions. He suggested that I put everything back to stock and take my losses. Now that it's back to stock it runs flawless and I've given it to my girlfriend to use as a daily driver. I'm closing the deal on a new Escalade tomorrow for myself and I'm going to go with a supercharger system that will make about 600 hp.

Sounds like he checked the AFR, like I suggested a month ago but someone said that you can't learn anything from measuring the AFR. That someone also answered none of my questions in my previous post on this thread.

16Sport: Did you sell the tuner yet? Trying to convince my wife she "needs" the tuner, but she says it's too expensive and drives just fine for her. Women.... lol I may change her mind if I can find a used one that will offset the price of paying Livernois the fee to switch the VIN on the tuner.

Nevermind: found your post. :)

Sounds like he checked the AFR, like I suggested a month ago but someone said that you can't learn anything from measuring the AFR. That someone also answered none of my questions in my previous post on this thread.

What questions would you like "someone" to answer?

We also have a fully functioning phone and email service if you feel "someone" failed to answer your questions. The number is 313-561-5500, and the email address is info@livernoismotorsports.com

Back