Can I wire Off Road Lights to stock switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I wire Off Road Lights to stock switch

I recently changed the radio bezel on my 98 explorer, and the replacement I got just happened to have the factory fog light switch. Coincidentally, I am also adding a pair of 130 watt off road lights. Although my explorer didn't come with fog lights, it did have the electrical plug for the switch behind the bezel. I assume the rest of the wires are hanging somewhere under the bumper.... My explorer just didn't come with that option, so no lights were connected...

Am I right in assuming this?? And if so, where would I find the wires that would connect to the lights, and can i use them to connect to my 130 watt off road lights?

To be safe I would just the wire the lights to the battery and connect them to the switch to turn them on and off. I'm sure the lights came with a diagram on how to wire them. Wiring them to the battery I think would be best option because they are 130 watts, but I would wait for someone with more experience to chime in. just my 2 cents.

To be safe I would just the wire the lights to the battery and connect them to the switch to turn them on and off. I'm sure the lights came with a diagram on how to wire them. Wiring them to the battery I think would be best option because they are 130 watts, but I would wait for someone with more experience to chime in. just my 2 cents.

Please don't do it that way. You will end up with a fire. The stock switch is not rated for the amount of current draw the lights require. You would need to wire all thru a relay.
This thread may help:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274723

As far as the Original Poster, I don't know if the wires would be buried under the bumper somewhere. The plug you found may indeed be the one you need to use, but those go to a power distribution block where a relay would have been plugged into it. The foglight harness would come out of the distribution block to the fog lights. You could use the stock switch by wiring the circuit like the diagram in the thread I posted above.

This may be better???
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Images/auxLamp.gif

Those wires are not designed for that much current.. Run new wires and add a relay..

You don't need to run new wires from the switch to the relay, but run new ones from the relay to the lights. You should be able to use the stock switch, but make sure you wire that stuff up right.

X2 on the don't wire straight from the battery... you're just asking for trouble.

Back