Can the DRLs be disabled on an '06? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can the DRLs be disabled on an '06?

aowRS

Reaction score
City, State
Ellicott City. MD
Hello,
I am asking this question on behalf of my father who recently purchased an '06 Explorer 4WD XLT. Is there a way to disable the daytime running lights, either by relay/fuse removal, or other clean methods?

On my '01 4Runner, this involved the cutting of one wire, and was thus reversible.

Thank you in advance.

Andreas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats strange. i dont have DRL's in my 06.

I also have a 06 with DRL. I like to fish and hunt and there are times I want my lights off. I looked uder the right front wheel as was suggested in some of the earlyer models? I didn's see anything but a lage group of wires all wraped together. I need HELP TOO!

Mine has the automatic headlight setting, but I haven't noticed any DRLs either.

Have any of you with them tried to set your E-brake and see if they go off? I am just curious. Someone told me that "the other brand" did this. It sounded fishy to me, but who knows.

the drl module plugs into a connector that is below and behind the dirvers side headlight assembly. It's a box a little larger than a pack of cigs. If you remove the module you will need the plug that was removed to install the module in the connector. I expect you would have no trouble finding one at the junk yard as the vehicles were not shipped with the module in the US, however the feature could be obtained by removing the plug from the connector and inserting the module. The plug not only protects the connector from dirt but also provides proper electrical jumpers for the headlight circuit.

I did try the emergency brake and it didn't turn them off, even if I pushed it to the floor and put it in gear. LIGHTS ON!

I will look for the cig pack size modulule behind the head light as suggested by m6500. It,s raining in NC tonight but I will check it out tomorrow. I apreciate the suggestion.

fatboy11, I don't know if the 06 is different from my 97 and must be as depressing the parking brake does turn the drl's off on the 97. Since yours doesn't something is different

Are your park lights on with your "drl"? IF so, those aren't drl...that is the auot-headlights. True DRL will not turn on the parklights.

Very strange. My '06 Limited does not have DRL's. I previously asked my dealer about this and they told me the '06 X's don't have DRL's.

So I can orderr this module from my dealer and get DRL's?

aowRS: If you don't want your module, I'll take it. :D

Have any of you with them tried to set your E-brake and see if they go off? I am just curious. Someone told me that "the other brand" did this. It sounded fishy to me, but who knows.

Ford trucks in Canada have had DRLS's since 1990, and the E-brake has been used to turn them off since way back then.....

Back