• Register Today It's free!

Carbon Fiber hoods

sikamikanico816

Reaction score
City, State
chula vista, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 2WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Linky no worky.
Karl

For alittle over $400 I really would think it isnt real carbon fiber since CF is expensive. But who knows. Wonder if it would fit my 2001 hmmmm :)

Shipping is $163.94 to Maryland :(

Why would you want a carbon fiber hood?

adds 400 horse butts of tq

Mbrooks420 said:
Why would you want a carbon fiber hood?

To lose some weight.....

In your wallet...:D :eek:

For a non racing vehicle, the ONLY reason to put carbon fiber anything on is looks (if you like that look)...what you save in weight is negligible and it will take a loooonnngggg time to recoup it in gas mileage savings.....

i think the best way to find out whether or not this is carbon fiber is to call them.
but carbon fiber hood for 400 dollars? wowzers on that! i think you can find fiberglass hoods for a lot cheaper. carbon fiber does nOT have that many advantages of fiberglass when it comes to body panels and hoods on cars. carbon fiber panels are, as many have stated, just for show.

I would thing a lot of people would look at a carbon fiber hood on a more or less stock X and say WTF! Now if you do some serious weight reduction that you might be doing. Like chop top, tubed doors and many other weight saving things. Then yes. The ounces will take care of the pounds.

How much does it actually weigh? Does anybody know? I have been scheming on how to raise my truck but lower the CoG keeping it less prone to :roll: I have been considering Perry's fiberglass but if this is even a few pounds lighter, it may be better.

chriswells78 said:
How much does it actually weigh? Does anybody know? I have been scheming on how to raise my truck but lower the CoG keeping it less prone to :roll: I have been considering Perry's fiberglass but if this is even a few pounds lighter, it may be better.
The hood isnt that far away from where I would guess the COG is so I don't think a few pounds would matter too much (due to the short moment arm).

Again, a carbon fiber hood will not differ much in weight compared to a fiberglass hood so if Perry's is more economical, then I would go with Perry's.

Your best bet to add stability is to forget about the COG, which is hard to change much anyways, and just go with a wider stance. A set of aftermarket wheels would likely be cheaper, and wouldn't require paint work.

Carbon fiber hoods belong on imports. I'm with JDraper, there is no reason to put one of these on your X except to get some laughs. The stock hood doesn't even weigh very much!

If carbon fiber is done right, not just for show, it can be beneficial. It is stronger and lighter than fiberglass. Ricers just give it a bad name, but they do that with everything they do ;) It can't really be painted very effectively. It has to be powdercoated. If I was to get one, that is what I would do.

I plan on going wider, a lot wider. like 3.75 backspacing AND 1.25" Hub extensions. That's about 4" overall width. With Fiber fenders, a light hood (carbon or glass) and replacing the rear quarter windows with plexiglass and losing the luggage rack, I'm hoping I can dump about 100 lbs from the top, then add that weight back at the bumpers with a pre-runner pumper and a winch in the front and a tube rear bumper with a mount for a 60" jack. I'm hoping to clear 33s with the fenders and no lift, at max, I'll do the TT, Shackles and AAL if needed, then if I still need it more I'll try a body lift, I hope not.

Now with that said, I'll post the question again, does any body know how much this CF hood weighs?

chriswells78 said:
If carbon fiber is done right, not just for show, it can be beneficial. It is stronger and lighter than fiberglass. Ricers just give it a bad name, but they do that with everything they do ;) It can't really be painted very effectively. It has to be powdercoated. If I was to get one, that is what I would do.

I plan on going wider, a lot wider. like 3.75 backspacing AND 1.25" Hub extensions. That's about 4" overall width. With Fiber fenders, a light hood (carbon or glass) and replacing the rear quarter windows with plexiglass and losing the luggage rack, I'm hoping I can dump about 100 lbs from the top, then add that weight back at the bumpers with a pre-runner pumper and a winch in the front and a tube rear bumper with a mount for a 60" jack. I'm hoping to clear 33s with the fenders and no lift, at max, I'll do the TT, Shackles and AAL if needed, then if I still need it more I'll try a body lift, I hope not.

Now with that said, I'll post the question again, does any body know how much this CF hood weighs?

Like your plans. Might just have to call the people who make the hoods if you don't get a response. Like to see pics as you go.

chriswells78 said:

nice nice, but 33's with no lift, hmm, not likely if you go 4" inches wider only because when you go wider, your turning radius pushes your wheels out as you turn the wheel. if you kept stock wheel width you might be able to run 33x10.50 tires (with pery's fenders).

i did almost the same, i use to have a 2" torsion lift using my 33x10.50 tires and it wouldn't rub (i think, from what i remember). BUT, when i got my 2.5" wheel spacers, it would begin to rub against the front bumper and body frame only.
now im fine. i am 4 inches wider per side now (2.5" wheel spacers and 1.5" via fabtech spindle) with fiberwerx fenders and running a 3.5" lift spindle. but i wanted to get rid of my stock bumper. i didnt rub but if it was close. with one bump on the trial and my wheels turned, for sure it would hit. ill get pics soon. bottom line is you definately cant fit 33's on stock height if you go wider.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info, I would like to see some pics. This is why I am in the planning stages first ;)

Back