Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks. | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks.

So after reading 9 pages of posts I couldn't find any part numbers that still work for this part. I did some digging on my own and found what I was looking for.

Under Cover - Ford (DE9Z-7460513-ED) | TascaParts.com

For $200 I think I will attempt to fix it myself with fiberglass like someone did in this post.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So after reading 9 pages of posts I couldn't find any part numbers that still work for this part. I did some digging on my own and found what I was looking for.

Under Cover - Ford (DE9Z-7460513-ED) | TascaParts.com

For $200 I think I will attempt to fix it myself with fiberglass like someone did in this post.
Several members have used plywood. Also, one member apparently had 800 lbs. back there without any issue; Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks.
That part number was posted in post 186 on the previous page.:)

I bought a 2014 XLT April 2018, and didn't notice that the backs of the 2nd row seating was cracked. Knowing that I would be putting weight back there, and since I rarely (as in almost never), need any of my seats in a passenger carrying position, I put a large sheet of cardboard down, a layer of 1x4's to cover entire area (had to cut them down of course), then another large sheet of cardboard on top. This will support any load I can carry back there (like wood pellets, bags of bark mulch and soil etc.). I've even used my truck to camp in and slept back there.

If I need bring the seats back up, it is easy to remove the lumber and cardboard, then re-install later. I know this won't work for everyone, but it was much cheaper than buying replacement parts, less time consuming that doing the conversion like a police cruiser, and less messy than some of the other suggestions.

I understand ford not realizing this issue when the truck first came into production, but seriously, 8 years later they still have this ridiculous design? My 3 week old truck, just got a cracked panel, from a 20 pound bag of cat food. This is completely insane!

I understand ford not realizing this issue when the truck first came into production, but seriously, 8 years later they still have this ridiculous design? My 3 week old truck, just got a cracked panel, from a 20 pound bag of cat food. This is completely insane!
Seems to be the luck of the draw in this case. There are members who have loaded the wheels/tires and other heavy objects with no problems. See post 223 above. Did you crack the back of the 2nd or 3rd row seat? I've carried my 2 dogs in the back on the 3rd row seats many times. One weights 38 and the other 26 pounds.

Peter

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure how to describe this :) When I put my third row seats down to create the larger trunk space the flat section appears to be made of some relatively thin carpet covered plywood. Sadly, this has snapped in the middle across the width of the car on both sections.

Since it is just wood, I am wondered how difficult it would be to remove and replace myself. I'd appreciate any suggestions, tips, advice on it.

Thank you!
Lolster.

sadly a common break on the pre-2016's, not sure on repair/replacement since you are certainly out of warranty.

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure how to describe this :) When I put my third row seats down to create the larger trunk space the flat section appears to be made of some relatively thin carpet covered plywood. Sadly, this has snapped in the middle across the width of the car on both sections.

Since it is just wood, I am wondered how difficult it would be to remove and replace myself. I'd appreciate any suggestions, tips, advice on it.

Thank you!
Lolster.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this existing one on the same issue found with the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right).
As you can see, you were not the only one to experience this.

Peter

I did try searching first but didn't find anything, hence my post.

Thank you for merging with this one.

Adding my search terms in case it helps find this thread for others later.

trunk wood snapped
third row broken
seat back snapped
trunk seat broken
seat back snapped in trunk

'seat back cracks' will find it.:)

Peter

I did try searching first but didn't find anything, hence my post.

Thank you for merging with this one.

Adding my search terms in case it helps find this thread for others later.

trunk wood snapped
third row broken
seat back snapped
trunk seat broken
seat back snapped in trunk

You can also add those as tags to help with search terms. Regardless, thank you for being thoughtful!

Wow, good to know there is even the potential of a problem

Thanks for the alert

Hello. I was in the cargo area one day and put my knee into the back of one of our third row seats. That caused the back panel of the seat to crack. Is it possible to get the panel off and replace it with a new one? If so where can I find a new panel? Thank you for the help.

Hello. I was in the cargo area one day and put my knee into the back of one of our third row seats. That caused the back panel of the seat to crack. Is it possible to get the panel off and replace it with a new one? If so where can I find a new panel? Thank you for the help.

Your thread has been merged using the search feature to the current discussion on this issue.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
2011-2019 Ford Seat Back Panel BB5Z-7860509-B | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake (Left)
2011-2019 Ford Seat Back Panel BB5Z-7860508-A | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake (Right)
NOTE: These are shown for non powered seats.

Peter

I bought this part for my 2011: DE9Z-7460512-CD

Not sure if I missed it through these 12 pages, but I didn't see any instructions. Though someone else did ask too.

Before I tackle it, anyone have instructions on how to replace?

After finally getting the part, it was evident that this was pretty simple.

Two screws and the rest was clips after getting the bottom unlocked from the floor bracket.

After finally getting the part, it was evident that this was pretty simple.

Two screws and the rest was clips after getting the bottom unlocked from the floor bracket.
I need to replace mine too. Do you have power 3rd row or manual? Trying to figure out if I can replace myself and can’t find anything online showing how. The dealer wants $480! Thank you for any help you can provide!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Took my all season wheels into the dealer so that I can get them on and the winter tires stores and found that the weight of the wheels broke the cheap cardboard panel that lies flat when you put the seats in a lie flat position. Didn't Ford think that anybody would put anything in the back of this 'SUV' for transportation. I've never, ever had or seen anything like this before.

The problem doesn't show when the seats are up but the panel is almost cracked in half when down :( I wonder if this is replaceable and how much it will cost. Next time I'll get a real truck to carry anything heavy.
Mine are broken just like that. 2015 Explorer. Not even sure what happened. I haul cases of water, etc in the back of mine but nothing that should have broke them.

Back